Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New update now machines outline of text with, engrave, trace, and contour

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
chriswyso
316 Views, 13 Replies

New update now machines outline of text with, engrave, trace, and contour

Does anyone Know how to fix simple machining of text when cam toolpath now engrave the outline of text?  We have always used arial text and was able to use engrave or contour to machine part numbers on part.  What has changed and how do we work around this issue? 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
seth.madore
in reply to: chriswyso

I wasn't aware of any changes in this regard (first I hear of it actually). Do you have a sample file we could look at to see what's going wrong?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 14
chriswyso
in reply to: seth.madore

Here is the file.  Please keep in mind that I currently using an engraving tool path but we generally choose contour the angel of the cutter is not an issue. 

Message 4 of 14
chriswyso

I went ahead and added the contour tool path like we would normally build it.  As you can see it is outlining the text which is not at all optimal for .125 text ht. 

Message 5 of 14
seth.madore

As far back as I can recall (which is becoming less the older I get), we've always needed to use "single stroke" fonts when using Trace or Contour to engrave text. 

2023-02-27_16h57_26.png

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 14
seth.madore

Result:

2023-02-27_17h00_01.png

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 14
chriswyso

We always use arial and it is no longer working for us.  Is there a solution for this?  This is the text common in the industry on print call outs.  What font are you using in your example? 

Message 8 of 14
seth.madore

Simplex8.shx.

The only way Arial font has ever worked as you expect it to is with the Engrave toolpath, not Trace or Contour

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 14
chriswyso

I promise you we have! I have always had trouble with engraving trying to drive it deeper so we have to move the sketch deeper into the part or change the angle of the cutter.  With contour which was our go to, you could at lease drive the 45 degree cutter deeper.  

Message 10 of 14
seth.madore

Now I'm starting to feel like I've stepped into a parallel dimension. I don't think I've ever seen the toolpath(s) handle a centerline motion on .TTF fonts.

Do you have an older file (at least a month old) that you've programmed as you state? I'd love to see it and compare results with what's going on now.

I will say this; if it did in fact work as you state, it was possibly a "happy accident".

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 14
chriswyso

Well I understand and maybe our tool points where just sharp enough we did not notice.  When you engrave,  now that I have your attention....  What is the fastest way to drop the tool HT to cut deeper when using a 45 deg cutter? 

Message 12 of 14
seth.madore

When using the Engrave toolpath explicitly, either go with a larger font or create the sketch slightly below the surface

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 14
seth.madore

Soo......could you share an older file with the Contour and Trace working in the manner you expect?

Seth Madore
Message 14 of 14
chriswyso

I think I was wrong.  I looked at some older files and we where using a smaller point tool.  Also,  I noticed we were having even more trouble with the machine that was compounding the clarity of the text due to the feed rate limitations.  This was after I changed the text to SHX text like you recommended.   I slowed the spindle speed and feed down and the the text turned out much better.  Thank you for your help.  I will be using a simpler one line font moving forward on all engraving...  This should reduce the time to machine the text as well.  Thank you. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report