Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finishing Operation Help/Suggestions

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
howardkinkade
259 Views, 3 Replies

Finishing Operation Help/Suggestions

I have attached a file where I'm trying to get a finish machine operation to work.  It involves undercuts.  The set of operations are in the machining tab.  The setup is named "Top, Bottom".  The first five operations seem to be dialed in fairly well.  The last finishing operation is with a ball end tool.  I have tried 'ramp' operation, but can't figure out how to get it from maching the end of the three tabs.  I have also tried a 'scallop' operation which was successful for a prior operation with a radiused end mill in "scallop 2" operation, but that operation used as a finishing operation here tends to peck around the piece.  

What suggestions does anyone have to do the final machining operation with the small ball mill?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
seth.madore
in reply to: howardkinkade

I would recommend using the 3D Contour toolpath actually:

2023-12-26_14h33_28.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 4

Seth, thanks that works well.  I learned when using 'rest machining' with the shape near complete from previous operation it resulted in hoping around the profile.  Without rest machining works best in this case.  

Maybe you can help with the warning I always get - " lifting retract height to safe height ".  I can't figure out why and how to resolve these warnings.  Can you (someone) help, thanks?

Message 4 of 4
seth.madore
in reply to: howardkinkade

On your Height tab, you typically have the following:
Clearance

Retract

Top Height

Bottom Height

And then on the Linking tab, there's a "Safe Distance" setting.

Most commonly, the warning is generated when your Retract height value is lower than your Safe Distance value, and increasing the Retract value will make the warning go away"

2024-01-02_09h42_24.png2024-01-02_09h42_54.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report