Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D Pocket only mill the single large pocket

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
zcqsdmd
130 Views, 4 Replies

2D Pocket only mill the single large pocket

Hello,

I am new to CNC and Fusion 360. I am designing a clock for a lounge wall with an epoxy inlay of an estuary of a local river.  I haven't yet dialled in the settings. But I plan to cut out the map with a 3mm bit. I understand that it will be unable to mill the more detailed bits smaller than the bit radius. But this leads to multiple pockets being milled of the very small rivers as it misses out on the bit in between. How do I get fusion 360 to just mill the single large pocket and ignore and get rid of the tiny pockets like in the image? I have also attached the file.Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 11.36.16.png

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
marcus.toepke
in reply to: zcqsdmd

The easiest thing to do is to use a larger milling cutter, perhaps Ø14

Message 3 of 5
seth.madore

I would use a larger endmill to clear off the bulk of the work and then follow it up with another couple 2D Pocket toolpaths with "Rest Machining" turned on (and proper "prior tool" size defined.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 5
marcus.toepke

@seth.madore 

I looked at his file again, the 2D pocket operation opens so slowly!
If I use Adaptive Clearing it works much better!
Whenever I open the 2D-Pocket operation Fusion analyses like crazy? Is this a bug?

It can't be right that when you open just one operation, everything is analysed again even though you don't change anything!

Message 5 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: marcus.toepke

@marcus.toepke wrote:

Whenever I open the 2D-Pocket operation Fusion analyses like crazy? Is this a bug?

It can't be right that when you open just one operation, everything is analysed again even though you don't change anything!

Sadly, this is not a bug with certain toolpaths, and something we're aware of. I know we've done some work to improve this and that you should see improvement in a future release. As to the "when", I am not certain..

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report