Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a 3D wavy panel

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
traditional.builds
167 Views, 6 Replies

Creating a 3D wavy panel

Any idea on how to create a 3D toolpath that moves with the wave? I have tried Flow and Blend with minimal success, but the tool eats into the wave(s) next to it. I have been trying to create a boundary for each wave, basically telling the tool to machine each wave individually and not dig into the areas on either side, but I have yet to figure it out.

I was able to do this successfully on a different machine using the program woodWop (I will attach photo of the sample) but have not been able to replicate it on Fusion. I know it's because I am not familiar with Fusion's 5-axis extension.

IMG_6581.JPG

Side note: I am using a 1/2" flat end mill and I fully understand Fusion does not want you to use a flat tool for a curved operation (at least that's what the error tells me when I try), but I am not cutting much material away so it was not an issue with the original sample. I understand the wave/curve shape will be altered due to the tool cutting with the corners of the bit as opposed to the center, but the exact shape of the waves does not matter. I am using a flat tool because each new wave must have a sharp edge, something I am unable to achieve with a ball tool. I will also attach photos of the original operation in case that helps.

My main issue is how to contain the toolpath inside each wave and not dig into the area outside.

IMG_6473.PNGIMG_6472.PNGIMG_6471.PNG

For the photo above, I created a roughing pass to clear the bulk of the material, and then followed it up wit the wave operation (using the flat end mill).

I also attached the sample file in case anyone wants to take a look. I have 2 setups, one where each wave is a separate body, and another where all the waves are combined, as I have been attempting multiple methods of getting this to work. If I could get the sample to work, I can replicate it myself on the final piece.

Thank you a ton for your help!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

With a little bit of modeling and some toolpath creativity, could I interest you in an Advance Swarf toolpath?

2024-08-19_13h23_14.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 7

Okay this works! I see what you did, I would not have thought of that.

Are you able to explain to me how you made that shell of the curve? The item labeled "Body23 (3)". I have yet to use any of those surface/mesh features. After that I am sure I can complete the rest of the toolpaths!

Message 4 of 7

I made a couple of errors in this video:

1) I started to select Guide Curves (upper/lower). Don't do that, it doesn't work with separate segments as we're doing

2) Don't bother putting the toolpaths into a Pattern, I didn't notice that it wasn't an equal pattern with the short section I had just programmed

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 7

Thank you for all the help! That is literally perfect and helps me understand the program more!

Thank you Seth

Message 6 of 7

Wasnt this asked and answered already in another one of your threads? 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 7 of 7

That was when I was trying it without the 5-axis extension, and there is no way to remove threads

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report