Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d contour undercut, not dipping into undercut.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
calebktaylor
572 Views, 4 Replies

3d contour undercut, not dipping into undercut.

This is frustrating, generating the toolpaths to properly do this with the modeled radii in the corners just doesn't work.  Tool with those radii wasn't available, so I hope to profile it with a mill tool.

Fusion file using Harvey keyseat cutter with corner radii, with the broken CAM not machining the groove.

https://a360.co/32ns19w

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: calebktaylor

It appears to be something to do with the tool definition itself. I created a new tool using the key geometry (width, thickness, radii, root diameter) and was able to easily create a toolpath:

2019-09-02_11h29_33.png

Duplicating the successful tool and using the Harvey defined tool, no such luck...

See attached file.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5

Two years later and this is still a problem with 3d Contour undercutting toolpath generation.  I was using a Harvey Tool supplied tool model of a full radius keyseat cutter P/N: 968562 and Fusion would not allow it to do any undercutting.  I removed the "shaft" in the tool geometry and now it undercuts just fine.  I should clarify that the shaft in no way interfered with the part model to reach the geometry I needed.  I was having the same problem with a lollipop cutter but it's a relieved shank without any modeled "shaft" in the tool library, is there a fix for this issue as well?

Very respectfully,

Michael L. Nicholas
Sithech Customs, LLC.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

I second SithechCustoms post. I just wasted an hour trying to figure out why a lollipop cutter would work and a full radius key way cutter wouldn't. Then I found this post and deleted the Harvey Tool supplied shaft dimensions and it worked no problem. For what it's worth I'm using Harvey Tool 43493-C3 full rad keyway cutter and a 994732-C3 lollipop cutter.

Message 5 of 5
sean

This is still a problem in 2023.  If there are shaft dimensions present (even ones that I typed in myself), the toolpath will not dip into the undercut.  If I delete the shaft dimensions, it does dip into the undercut.  This workaround works okay in some situations, but now I will have no way to visualize shank clearance for any of my toolpaths.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report