Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blend creates very large toolpath files. How to fix?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
sean
216 Views, 8 Replies

Blend creates very large toolpath files. How to fix?

I have noticed recently that Blend creates toolpaths that are substantially larger than any other toolpath that I might use to accomplish the same goal.  For example, for this 20 degree chamfer, Blend creates a toolpath that is about 1.4Mb while Spiral can do nearly the exact same thing in a 300Kb toolpath.  Is there a way to force Blend to create simpler toolpaths?  I suspect it has something to do with the smoothing or tolerance values but I have tried many different permutations of those variables and nothing makes the files much smaller.  Is this just the nature of Blend?  Is it not able to generate simple helical moves or something?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Blend is an awesome toolpath, but I am unable to use it with some of our older machine tools because the files it generates are too large for the controllers to keep up with.

sean_0-1686145146463.png

sean_1-1686145168032.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: sean

What values are you running for Tolerance and Smoothing? I find that a .0004" Tolerance and .001" Smoothing yields solid results (personally). Yes, Arc moves should be fitted, assuming that the moves are on one of the G17/18/19 planes:

2023-06-07_09h54_48.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 9
sean
in reply to: seth.madore

I had it at the default (tolerance = smoothing = 0.0004").  Changed the smoothing to 0.001" and the toolpath generated was the same.

What is that dialog box in your screen grab?  Is that showing the actual moves the toolpath is generating?  Is that how you are able to tell if the toolpaths are in the right plane?

Message 4 of 9
seth.madore

Oh, that's just the Toolpath Data dialog, you can right click on a toolpath and select "Show Toolpath Data". Another tip; you can turn on "Show Points" and it will put a black dot at every move:

2023-06-07_10h07_47.png

Could you share your Fusion file so we could take a look at things?

File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 9
sean

Oh my, there are a TON of points in this Blend toolpath compared to the Spiral.  I have attached the file.  I can't include the actual one because it is a customer part, but this demo file has the same feature I am working on.

sean_0-1686147324906.pngsean_1-1686147337209.png

Message 6 of 9
seth.madore

Huh, that's odd. Everything seems right to me, I'd expect it to do a better job smoothing. As a temporary workaround, would you consider using a 3D Contour toolpath instead? (all of 20.7kb)

2023-06-07_11h09_04.png

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 9
sean

I know in this case I could use another toolpath.  And actually for this part specifically, I am not worried about it because I will be running on a newer machine that can handle the inefficient Blend toolpath. 

I was more  hoping for a solution for the future when I have a feature where Blend is the best choice but I need to run on an older machine.  I like to use Blend whenever I can because of how fast and easy it is to program and because of how straightforward and no-nonsense the toolpaths it creates are. 

Message 8 of 9
sean

Any word on a fix for this problem?

Message 9 of 9
dwilliamsFM6K4

I doubt there are going to be substantial changes to accommodate solely smaller codes sizes on fairly old CNC controls

I would suggest drip feeding, which I have recently been using on my 1993 HAAS with 1mb of memory, to easily accomplish high accuracy lots of point toolpaths that I previously could not load onto my control because of size

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report