Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z is off when using fixture

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
powell9914
669 Views, 18 Replies

Z is off when using fixture

I am using a fixture to make a Guitar Neck.  I Identify the fixture in the setup. I use the corner of the fixture as my WCS origin because the neck must me moved to different positions on the fixture to be milled. All the simulations work fine. When .nc is taken to my CNC router (Axiom Pro) the Z Heights are all off and The bit will not descend into the cavity.  First cut is supposed to be at Z=82mm but goes to 75mm and stays at that height for every stepdown. G code was checked and proper Z heights are listed. X&Y are very accurate.

PLEASE Help

Screenshot (28).pngScreenshot (29).png

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
powell9914
in reply to: powell9914

So...I confirmed the operations files work when I moved the origin to the stock itself.  So it is an origin or component acceptance/recognition problem.

Message 3 of 19
jscott6SWZG

Check your offset from fixture point, to guitar neck?

Message 4 of 19
powell9914
in reply to: jscott6SWZG

All offsets are at 0. Bottom, set Stock bottom. Top, set to model top for all ops except Facing, set to Stock top

Message 5 of 19
jscott6SWZG

I meant how is the fixture point related to the guitar neck.  If you set z at the wcs.  How much higher is the neck from the wcs.  

Message 6 of 19
powell9914

Block is ~58mm and then ~24mm to Fretboard baring surface. So first cut Should be 81-82mm

Screenshot (30).png

Message 7 of 19
seth.madore

@powell9914 could you share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 8 of 19
powell9914
in reply to: seth.madore

Sure, Like I said, I know the ops files work and simulations work.  X and Y are accurate, Just the Z is off (cutting way low and staying at z level 75mm).  I have gut feeling How the 2 pieces of the fixture are put together, placed or used are at issue. I just don't know the right question to ask to correct it. File is attached.

Message 9 of 19
seth.madore

Looking at your Facing toolpath (first toolpath in your Setup), it's going to 81.805mm, which mathematically is correct (based on your image above):

2023-06-14_13h16_15.png

Are you saying that you don't see if go to 81.8mm at your machine?

Seth Madore
Message 10 of 19
powell9914

On the machine it goes to 75mm and stays there for all Z heights.  Further research, 75mm is the machine's default safety height

Message 11 of 19
powell9914

I have an hypothesis, Something is not letting the machine go over 75 Z.  I made victual test blocks at heights 40, 60, 70, 80mm.  Ran facing ops on the machine and yes hypothesis proven. 40,60,70mm ran fine.  80mm ran at 75mm.  So I know its not the fixture.  It is a control somewhere.  The G-code said to go to 80mm, but ran at 75mm. 

WHERE are Z height limits controlled, post? Machine?  Full Z span the machine goes 0 to 150.

Message 12 of 19
seth.madore

This is sounding like a machine/control issue. There's nothing in the posted g-code that's limiting your program to 75mm.

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 19
jscott6SWZG

so the machine jogs the full z span?

Message 14 of 19
powell9914

yes, full 150 where ever the 0 splits it.

Message 15 of 19
leo.castellon

It almost sounds like it isn't picking up your tool length offset if you default safety height on your machine is 75mm and everything is running at that Z level. Can you show us your posted G code? How does your machine pick up the length of the tool that is loaded into the machine?

LeoC

Message 16 of 19
powell9914

So, problem solved. There is a height max control in the menu of the Axiom machines.  Not sure if most machines have that.  There is a check run when a file is started to make sure the op does not run outside of the envelope perimeters.  Are both really needed??

Message 17 of 19
jscott6SWZG

Not really.  Soft limits can prevent crashes.  Mine are turned off.  If i had a lot of fixtues and things to crash on i my ght turn them on and set them

Message 18 of 19
powell9914
in reply to: leo.castellon

Turns out the machine has a max Z of 75mm to start a cut.  Tool shoulder length is accounted for in the g-code from the tool that is chosen for the op in fusion 360.  But yes, this is a weird one.  You would think it let the Z run until it maxes out at the limit/proximity switch.  There is always an envelope check when the file is started anyway. 

Message 19 of 19
powell9914

Thanks to everyone for your input and help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report