Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D Contour cutting across corner

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
taiello3154
297 Views, 7 Replies

2D Contour cutting across corner

I am trying to make the cutouts depicted in the picture using a 2D contour operation.  For some reason, the toolpath cuts a corner every 4 cutouts (circled in red).  This happens at the bottom of the toolpath and cuts through the center piece that I'm cutting out.  My machine isn't super rigid and that kind of a cut doesn't end well.  How can I get the operation to cut each hole the same way without cutting across?

Thanks for your help.

Screenshot 2023-06-14 215146.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
brad.francola
in reply to: taiello3154

Hi.  Can you share your file?

There are several potential solutions but it would be easier to help if we can see you file.

Message 3 of 8
taiello3154

Hopefully this is what you mean - link below.  If not please let me know specifically what to share.

https://a360.co/442ppOa

thanks

Message 4 of 8
brad.francola

I'd like to figure out why you are getting that odd move.  But, for now, you can use a duplication pattern.  Program the first pocket and then duplicate that toolpath based on the relative geometry of each subsequent pocket.  

bradfrancola_0-1686796130613.png

Message 5 of 8
taiello3154

Thank you!

If you find out something about my original approach I would love to know....but for now this should work!

Message 6 of 8
seth.madore

It's nothing in your approach, it's just how the kernel has decided to solve for this contour. There's room for improvement, for sure.

In addition to what @brad.francola has suggested, another method is to just define a "Preferred Entry Point" on the far right wall. This will align all the start points with that selection:

2023-06-15_05h55_07.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 7 of 8
brad.francola

@seth.madore I like your way better than mine in this scenario.  

Message 8 of 8
taiello3154

Thanks to both for your quick replies.  Seems that either should work but I learned a lot from your suggestions....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report