Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working on Airsoft Stock and I am confused about doing this extrude

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
templehillpr
463 Views, 11 Replies

Working on Airsoft Stock and I am confused about doing this extrude

I am helping a biddy re design an airsoft stock. I am tring to create a hole in the what is labeled back of this model. If you look inside the tube there is a hole that goes straight down for a sping loaded switch. I need ahole in the "back" to get a screwdrive down to the screw. I projected the geometry to the back and sketched a hole but it will not let me cut the hole. So whaty am I doing wrong?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Can you share the original model before your edits?

This model consists of a large number of unstitched surfaces. Even when stitching everything visible in the viewport, that doesn't result in a solid body. More work is needed to turn it into a solid body.

Also, you should not work with the timeline turned off.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
templehillpr
in reply to: templehillpr

They were .iges file and it looks like I cant upload them

Message 4 of 12

You can attach zipped files 😉

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
templehillpr

ok here is the file

Message 6 of 12

After importing the .igs file, turn on the timeline, and then stitch all the surfaces into a solid body.

Then continue with your edits.

If you run into trouble, share the model again with your edits in place.  

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
templehillpr

Ok great thanks I did what you said and I was able to do my edits I need. So now it looks like I have one solid body (my edits) and one Surface body. I say this because the body icons are white and orange. So if I try and 3d print his object my edits are going to be a seperate print (or not joinedto the orginal right? I extruded elements from the orginal and used the join command so I dont understand why these are not one body. I tried a combine but it wont let me selet the surface body. If you can look and tell me what I am doing wrong here. I truly appreciate your help!

Message 8 of 12

I think it would be of tremendous help for you if you completed at least one of the introductory Fusion courses here:

TrippyLighting_0-1724200642555.png

This project is a good bit beyond your current skill level and you need a solid foundation in basic CAD concepts before moving forward!

When you are in the surface tab and start deleting surfaces from a solid body that creates an open surface body.

That will obviously not 3D print.

When you are in the solid tab and select one, or more surfaces, Fusion will attempt to delete the surfaces and auto-heal the solid so it remains a solid.

I did that in the attached model.

Roll the timeline back all the way to after the stich icon and move it forward step by step. edit each of the features in the timeline to see what faces were selected and what the end result of the operation is. 

TrippyLighting_1-1724201737915.png

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
templehillpr

I have taken several Youtube courses and no i am not anywhere near good enough but this is a project for a friend and I figured I could edit this file. I know that .igs files are surface files not sure why one would model with that since they can't be printed but I thought after you stitched it up it becomes a solid model. That said the icon never changes to the solid body icon. So is there a way to combine these bodies are have I wasted my time? Should I edut the model in solid, which is where I thought I edited that model in? Is there a youtube or somewhere I can watch on how to edit iges files to solid.

Thanks

Message 10 of 12

I opened the latest model you posted. if you roll the history marker back to right after the stitch, you'll see you had a solid.  then you deleted a surface while in the surface tab, which converted it back to a surface body.

Message 11 of 12

@templehillpr wrote:

I have taken several Youtube courses and no i am not anywhere near good enough but this is a project for a friend and I figured I could edit this file. I know that .igs files are surface files not sure why one would model with that since they can't be printed but I thought after you stitched it up it becomes a solid model. That said the icon never changes to the solid body icon. So is there a way to combine these bodies are have I wasted my time? Should I edut the model in solid, which is where I thought I edited that model in? Is there a youtube or somewhere I can watch on how to edit iges files to solid.

Thanks

Please re-read my post in it's entirety and follow the instructions.

E.g. Go through the timeline and edit each step to see what how that step (feature in the timeline) was created.

As I've already described, when you are in the surface tab and delete one, or more surfaces from a solid body, that creates an open surface body.

That is what you did in the first step after stitching the surfaces into a solid body.

If going through the timeline does not provide you with the needed info, I can create another screencast. 

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
templehillpr

Ok I see that. So I need to delete those faces so how is the best way to do that?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report