Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what can we do with imported 3D scanned models?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
2004 Views, 13 Replies

what can we do with imported 3D scanned models?

i have several 3D models that i scanned using this Scanner

what are my editing workspace option? also what happens when scanned models get scanned ith color?

i would like to:

•modify body from imported model

•cut,hollow model or even shell inner model, thicken

•sculpt faces, edges & vertices

•sketch

12182468_10153061539691688_153453608107310056_o.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: Anonymous

Editing options for scanned data are limited. Unless you want to spend A LOT of time working on them. See your other thread.

What happens to the color (I assume you mean texture) on the scanned object, you loose it.

Fusion is not a sculpting app at least not for objects like your wanting to work with. Zbrush or Mudbox will work a lot better for sculpting organic meshes and they can handle insane polycounts. If you insist on using models like this with Fusion in its current state you will need to rebuild a surface model. There is a plugin and a few tutorials on here that others have done, but it is very time consuming.

If your looking for free apps to do this kind of stuff look at:

Blender

blender link

Sculptris

sculptris link

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 3 of 14
solson

Autodesk has a product called Memento.  It can take point clouds from scanners and turns them into a mesh.  It also offers some mesh editing tools.

Steve

Steve Olson
Manager, Training Services
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/profile/O37DF451BDD2485B
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgQTCawsuRFJVSHRXIwLdtg
Message 4 of 14
TrippyLighting
in reply to: solson

More importantly for being able to edit a mesh Fusion 360 iin Fusion 360 T-Spline environment on export it allows you to select quad surfaces as an option.

However, Memento is still beta software. Keep that in mind 😉

In general I am not sure what previous experinece with software you have, but based on some of your other posts I'd like to suggest that you ad a subdivision surface modling tool to your arsenal.

I personally use Blender ( it is FOSS). also 3DSMax comes to mid as I know tha **** can handel large amouts of point cloud data.

These modelers susally allow you to re-topologize scanned data meshes.

then you can export that re-topologised maesh as a .obj file, import it into Fusion 360, convert it into a T-Splien and do all the wonderful things with it that you can do with Fusion 360.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

oh ok i own sculptris, thanks for the tip
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: solson

is there a specific file type i should export from scanner in ? also i own recap, is that the same as memento ?would it work just like you say memento will ?

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

" I'd like to suggest that you ad a subdivision surface modeling tool to your arsenal" can you tell me which ? or did you suggest those when you mentioned Blender & 3DSMax?
Message 8 of 14
Oceanconcepts

You might find helpful this class from Autodesk University, which is now available online. It discusses a workflow from Memento, outputting scan data as a quad mesh, then to Fusion. 

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2015/fusion-360/cp9883#chapter=0

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Capture.JPG

Message 10 of 14
thepirate1

Dear Trippy (and community):

As I understand it, you're saying you have to go outside of F360 to convert our meshes from scan data, and this should be in blender or some proprietary software. I find Blender a total nightmare to use, I have wasted lots of time.  I think that as 3-D scanners become more common this issue will be very common:  You scan something, the scan is very lumpy, you want to make a complicated lumpy thing back into a simpler collection of planar-faces in a solid object, and you want to repair parts that are hard for the scanner to see.  So, are there general instructions for the f360 user to fix this? 

More details: It's complicated  and way too late for me to get new software (see below).  I did download Blender, and OMG, that is incredibly complicated.  It only took me an hour or so to learn about the Mesh Edit-mode  and find the existence of a command convert tris to quads, but since then I have had absolutely no progress, after selecting my can object, to execute this command.  (And the manual seems to want to do this on only a few faces. It doesn't really look like you can do this to a huge number of faces.)

Stating the problem better:  I have scanned a relatively simple part.  To get that to have enough detail to 3-D print it, I scanned it (EINSCAN-S) at high detail mode, and this seems to have resulted in 128,422 triangles according to the blender display. The result of the scan of an object that had very simple planar faces is something really really lumpy.  I don't need anything vaguely like that kind of resolution, except in one critical area.  And I cannot seem to be able to edit the mesh or combine it with simple bodies in f360.  

Here's what I want to do:

* I want to make the faces symmetric and closer to planar

* I want to repair a huge gap in a sheet-like part of the scan

* The crux of the scan is: There is a cross-like structure that inside a hole.  This is required to snap onto another part.  The scanner cannot see well into this, so empty space is not mostly closed and lumpy. I have to somehow get in there and clean out the lumpiness.  Of course I imported the .stl mesh part into f360 and tried to use simple bodies as cutting tools using extrude command, but it would not modify the mesh.  

* Lastly, the real point is to then 3D print the part. 

UNREASONABLE AND IMMATURE APPEAL FOR HELP. 

Like you guys out there don't have anything better to do? But, I'm going to ask anyway. I'm at a work site in a foreign country and I leave in 3 days, and won't have access to the 3d printer here at all.  It's a pain to buy stuff here like new software and it's not clear if it's just for this one single use.  If anyone could help me in the next couple days with hints how to convert this in blender or I suppose other software, and/or fix it in some other software so I could print it, that would be very helpful and much appreciated. 

-Pirate

Message 11 of 14
TrippyLighting
in reply to: thepirate1

What's the original size of this part ? I am trying to find the right scale.

My current attempt would be not to re-mesh this in Blender, but to just import in Blender, scale it to the correct scale and export a .obj.

If I'd use blender I'd not use tris to quads,but the re-mesh modifier.

Then use act .obj in InstantMeshes and quandrify.

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
TrippyLighting

Attached is your little object quadrified with InstantMeshes, which is FOSS (Free open source software.)

Not sure if the scale is correct.

Its it's off, it's likely by a factor of 10 and you should be able to scale the object (Modify->Scale).

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
thepirate1

Dear Trippy: 

You are (as usual) TOO TOO generous.  Thank you soooooooo much. 

I was able to import your quads, but I found that I could not repair the model with my level of skill in the modes needed to manipulate these.   In the end, I'm thinking that the scanner may not be good enough for any small details except in idealized parts.  (In the short term, I gave up and solved the problem by staying up much of the night and drawing the part in model mode from scratch, eyeballing and using calipers in extraordinarily flaky ways - incredibly, I got it to fit!)

However, in the spirit of this community, I hope that I can write up something that might be useful for the noob like myself for using scans in f360.  I hope to do this before too long, but probably not until after the holidays - first I have to practice the sculpt (I think that;s it) mode. And download InstantMeshes. 

Somewhere there is a great opportunity for software developers for a widget that takes one step by step though importing scan files, placing the resulting model sensibly within a meaningfully centered and oriented coordinate system, and helping the user symmetrize the lumpy scan result, then repair gaps.  

Until later, thanks so much for responding!  You are very kind there. 

-Pirate

Message 14 of 14
nkloski

Hi there!  Let me submit a video I did for my monthly 3D printing and 3D design peeps a month or so ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYCSYeHfIDk&t=1411s

Please jump to to 23:30 part of the video for the relevant section.  

It is in the "intermediate" category, I would think, but it is a great way to use meshes (in this case from Meshmixer) that are sub-optimal, and then bring them into Fusion to create helper bodies, and then bring those bodies back out of Fusion to do the final mesh-work.  You certainly could create helper bodies in Meshmixer, but this was a fun way to do it, and was pretty quick as well.  Essentially, you can create all sorts of helper shapes in Fusion 360. and then use the "attract to Target" and "Paint on Target" features of Meshmixer to create new geometry that perfectly matches the Fusion geometry.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Nick Kloski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report