Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird surface after making holes

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
jpbaehr13
444 Views, 14 Replies

Weird surface after making holes

Hello,

I have been dealing with this issue on this particular model. After extruding holes, a weird surface becomes noticeable.

It even appears when I export as STL 

Any suggestions?

jpbaehr13_0-1716344870007.png

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Drewpan
in reply to: jpbaehr13

Hi,

Does this happen when you have default appearance or material settings? It may be the rendering of the material

with the holes you put in and probably not a major issue. Fusion sometimes struggles to render properly with different

shapes and certain appearances. Does it make a difference when you extrude the holes in groups? That may fix the

problem also as it reduces the amount of calculations.

What does it actually look like if you run a Render on it?

Cheers

Andrew

Message 3 of 15
jeff_strater

This seems like a faceting issue.  Try changing the display detail control on that body:

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 8.28.41 PM.png

Choose "fixed", and try changing to one of the choices (low, med, high).  Sometimes that can have an effect.

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 8.28.56 PM.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 15
jpbaehr13
in reply to: jeff_strater

Tried that, didn't seem to make much of a difference. Still have many distortions

Message 5 of 15
jpbaehr13
in reply to: Drewpan

I removed all appearance related effects, still getting the issue. Also my holes are all in separate groups, it appears right from the start of my model after extruding.

I am going to try and remodel and see if it continues 

Message 6 of 15
jpbaehr13

Also, this does indeed change the result of the exported STL. Here is an example of the original model, versus a early version that does not have as many features. In these pictures, I imported the STLs into VCarve, to be manufactured on a CNC. 

jpbaehr13_0-1716413805012.png

jpbaehr13_1-1716413830414.png

Message 7 of 15
laughingcreek

can you export your model as an .f3d and attach. would be good to get to the root cause of the problem.

Message 8 of 15
jpbaehr13
in reply to: laughingcreek

Yes, here you go.

Here is a copy of the model with some features removed, but still the same issue nonetheless

jpbaehr13_0-1716414553635.png

Message 9 of 15
laughingcreek

the problem seems to be related to the sketch.  is this an imported svg? (or some other import format?)

Message 10 of 15
jpbaehr13
in reply to: laughingcreek

I imported a picture to the canvas but the sketch is made by myself. 

In order to create the holes, I used the pattern on path

Message 11 of 15
jeff_strater

I don't think this is the sketch (other than there are lots of holes defined in the sketch...).  This looks to me like a classic faceting problem.  It shows up in a mesh export (STL) because conversion to mesh uses the same faceter as is used for the graphics generation.  Changing the display detail does help (on the sample here).  If I set it to Medium, it is better, but there still is at least one hole that is not right.

default:

Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 4.18.38 PM.png

Medium:

Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 4.19.38 PM.png

The rest of my usual techniques (splitting the face) don't seem to help here.  FWIW, we are working on a new faceter implementation, I've asked the team to try it on this model.  We hope to be releasing it soon, but I don't know when that is, sorry.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 12 of 15
jpbaehr13

Thank you for the insight, incredible that I am speaking to an Autodesk employee. 

Love your products and good luck with the implementation of this solution

Look forward to seeing an update

Message 13 of 15
MichaelT_123

Hi Mr Jpbaehr13,

The surface artefacts are created when the rendering engine processes the coplanar surfaces. The graphics calculation path involves triangulation of surfaces and shading them (applying an appearance). In the process, input data precision reduction and changing calculation domain from real numbers to integers make the whole process fast and resource-efficient. Along the way, the necessary rounding's will go two ways, and the effect will be seen as the image artefact, which is when two or more tessellated triangles are almost coplanar.

It is a very rough explanation.

Go back to the real story.

The removed half-tree still resides in the design ... but it is hidden. Removing means in the F360 context ... hide. The actual object data can not be REMOVED ... because it supports all the children objects derived from it.

So, after upgrading our conciseness, we can streamline the chop-chop process and still have a happy whistle timebut with a touch more thinking.  

The simplified file is attached.

In the context of the problem ... Tree (F360) was not a villain ... the chopper was!

Singing Tree.png

WARNING:

I modified the sketch a little ... thus repeat the above process yourself to make sure that all is right!

Regards

MichaelT

MichaelT
Tags (2)
Message 14 of 15
jeff_strater

I know that this does not help, but we did test your model on the new faceter, and it works really well:

image (2).png

Note, this tool shows the actual facet boundaries - it will not look like this in Fusion, once this faceter is integrated

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 15 of 15
jpbaehr13

Thank you for giving an update! I look forward to seeing it rolled out in
an update 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report