Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top down modelling - adjust origin of new component.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
DanielZhuk
405 Views, 4 Replies

Top down modelling - adjust origin of new component.

Hi everyone, 

When I create a new sub-component, the created origin of the new component will be at the same location as the origin of the main component. I want to have the origin of the new component (which I create in a top-down modelling way) to be at a different location. I want this to prevent origins of new components to be far away from their body. I cannot figure out how to do this.

Attached a screengrab. Below, the origin of the new part "box holder". Near the sketch of the box holder (the rectangle) I created a "joint origin" to indicate where I want the origin of the "box holder" to be. 

Example.jpg

Thanks you for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
g-andresen
in reply to: DanielZhuk

Hi,

please share your design.

File > export > save as f3d on local device > attach to next post

günther

Message 3 of 5
DanielZhuk
in reply to: g-andresen

Hi Guenther,

Thank you for your help. Attached the example file. 

-Dan

Message 4 of 5
TrippyLighting
in reply to: DanielZhuk

In Fusion 360, while there is somewhat of a workaround, you cannot do this after the fact, meaning after you've started creating anything in that componet.

You can, however , create a new/empty componet and then assemble the origin of that component to the desired location with a joint. Then you can start creating sketches and 3D geoemetry in the component.

It's a little clunky, but it works.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
DanielZhuk
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Hi TrippyLighting,

Thank you for your help!

That's unfortunate. But now I know better how I should build up my models. Thanks! 

Kind regards,

Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report