Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the best way of having mirrored versions of a mechanical assembly in new model?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
maker9876
677 Views, 4 Replies

the best way of having mirrored versions of a mechanical assembly in new model?

Suppose you've created a mechanical assembly (several components with joints) and you wish to insert it into a model in both left and right-handed versions (ie itself and a mirrored copy of itself). 

What's the best way of doing this?

a) Insert the component into the master file. Mirror it in a plane. Recreate all the joints in the copy (not reproduced) and adjust the visibility of the subcomponents and construction planes (reset to visible by mirroring). Place both components with joints.

OR

b) Create a mirrored version of the component within the component file. Recreate all the joints in the copy (not reproduced) and adjust the visibility of the subcomponents and construction planes (reset to visible by mirroring).  Insert the file TWICE into the master file. In one version hide the "left handed" component and in the other version hide the "right handed component". Position both components using joints.

OR

c) Create an intermediary file in which you insert the "left handed" component, then create a mirror of itself destroying the original. Recreate all the joints in the copy (not reproduced) and adjust the visibility of the subcomponents and construction planes (reset to visible by mirroring). Save that "right handed" version, then insert it into the master file, together with the left handed version from the original component file. Place both versions with joints. [This approach is going to be a pain if you update the original component and then must update the intermediary before updating the master.]

OR

Something else?

Eager to know if there's a best practice.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: maker9876

Personally i would go with A but whichever one suits you best!

Message 3 of 5
TrippyLighting
in reply to: maker9876

Only under special circumstances would I mirror an entire assembly!

Any mirrored components within that assembly will be a "special" mirrored component and the instance counter starts with 1. Good luck creating an accurate parts list / BOM.

Also, the thread on mirrored components will be mirrored 😉

My recommendation would be to insert the assembly to be mirrored into a new master design, and there create a new empty component/assembly. Then mirror any unique components in the originating assembly and move them into the new component assembly and join/assemble as usual. Add standard/purchased/off-the-shelf components as needed.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
maker9876
in reply to: TrippyLighting

@Anonymous that is what I had started doing!

@TrippyLighting excellent advice, clarifies a lot. Where parts are machined or 3d printed mirroring seems sort of fun, in the case of a PCB (electronics) I'd even managed to lay one out that it could be used "the other way around" but you are right, there are a lot of issues one can quickly run into. You convinced me!

Message 5 of 5

What is then the main function of the "mirror components"?
The mirror makes the BOM unusable, joints aren't preserved, what then?

I have a scissor mechanism. inserted it twice, it works as expected, both move as if they are connected to a horizontal plate. 

but I would need to have 2 more, symmetric with respect to an origin plane. Now we need to be aware of the distance from one scissor to the origin, and this distance cannot be measured in real life. 

I will try your advice, but it is like a "symmetric" function could be implemented to preserve movement of joints and components.

regards,
Dean

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report