Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert a Sine Wave shaped spar into a wing

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
infoSC4MF
1272 Views, 7 Replies

Insert a Sine Wave shaped spar into a wing

I am trying to figure out how to insert a corrugated shaped spar into a plane wing section. It's easy to make a profile that is shaped like the spar and extrude it but it also needs to follow the wing shape that tapers as it moves outwardsAirfoil with spar shapeAirfoil with spar shapeWing sectionWing section 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
davebYYPCU
in reply to: infoSC4MF

Did you make the example wing with Loft or Sweep, do the same for the spar.

What will you do to make thickness, before or after the spar?

Might help....

Message 3 of 8
infoSC4MF
in reply to: davebYYPCU

The wing was made in on openVSP and then brought into fusion so I can't lose fat at the same time. I did try make two .5mm lines which were placed at either end of the wing segment but fusion refuses to loft them. Actually finding that Fusions loft tool seems to be a little buggy.

Message 4 of 8
infoSC4MF

Here is the wing section with the two rough curves I tried to loft

Message 5 of 8
davebYYPCU

Yep Fusion Loft tool is finicky, Fusion does not like your segmented wave curves either, and the profiles are not able to be selected, usually means it is imported geometry, not native fusion curves.  

If you fix that problem Fusion may get closer to cooperating for you....

Where the curves meet the skins you will need rails, 

because the wing panel is slightly concave you will need a rail at the top and bottom of the curve you want to Loft, 

The curves at the larger end go outside the skin, so that is not what you would want.

what is the end goal, cutting moulds with cnc, or 3d printing, my measurements predict the latter, print with infill, might work.

In the section view, you would have a rail similar to the underside of the skins, they would not be straight rails, in the front view.

There would be easier ways to add spars, straight ones, but you have a big job if you want to continue the wave spar, 

Sparsize.PNGSparCurves.PNG

Few clues for you....

Message 6 of 8
etfrench
in reply to: davebYYPCU

The attached file shows one way to create the wave.  I used two point circles with tangent lines between them.  If you use this method, you'll need to fine tune the circles to ensure they are inside the wing.

SineWing.jpgIf you use the splines in your original file, then you should work on their form. The Curvature Comb is pretty wild (although it could just be a bug in the Curvature Comb Smiley Happy )

SineWingCurvatureComb.jpg

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
infoSC4MF
in reply to: etfrench

Thanks, will give this a try 🙂

Message 8 of 8
infoSC4MF
in reply to: etfrench

The wing we are building is a pretty wild wing concept 🙂 It will be a combination between SLS printed carbon infused nylon and machined EPO foam.condor wing.JPG 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report