Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling with closing the surface of a parametric 3D sketch wireframe

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
f.with
825 Views, 13 Replies

Struggling with closing the surface of a parametric 3D sketch wireframe

Hey folks, 

I'm working on a parametric design of the human upper body, whose dimensions can be adjusted for individual measurements. My goal is to later model garment on the surface of this body.

However, I'm struggling with transforming my 3D sketch "wireframe" to a surface body.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-06 um 13.24.49.png

I started to model this wireframe without thinking much about how to make it a surface later on. I thought I could just insert patches with those 3D curves as boundaries.Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-06 um 13.34.25.png

Using Loft I managed to close most of the surfaces smoothly, but I can't get it to work for the shoulder-arm piece and the neck part.

Also the other tools in the patch workspace didn't work for me. 

Do you have any recommendations how to go about this problem? Or a better strategy for designing the 3D sketch wireframe, so that making the surface becomes easier?

Any help is appreciated! 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
g-andresen
in reply to: f.with

Hi Fynn,

1. Take a look at this thread  especially some contributions from @beresfordromeo .

2. Maybe sculpting is also a topic for you.

regards

günther

Message 3 of 14
laughingcreek

The type of lofting/surface modeling you are attempting is very advanced. The pit falls are many. As an exercise to hone your skill and learn, it is a worthy goal. But for your stated reason of having a mannequin for further garment work, I think there are better options that would be more productive. Google "Make Human." This free program will produce a quad mesh tailored to any (human) body type you can imagine (literally). The output is a quad mesh that can be imported into fusion and converted to t-splines. I've done this to model real people based on their measurements, and design things around them. http://www.makehumancommunity.org/
Message 4 of 14
beresfordromeo

hi @f.with 

If you could share or attach your model, perhaps I or others would be better able to help you get to the bottom of this problem.

Message 5 of 14
f.with
in reply to: laughingcreek

Thanks laughingcreek. I actually tried the MakeHuman attempt before that! I think it could work out. What I'm missing, though, is the parametricity. Using the skulpting workspace to drape fabric around the mannequin, I would have to change my surface by hand each time the dimensions of the mannequin change, right? My goal is to have everything parametric and adaptable to changes in the individual measurements. In general: Is it at all possible to do such parametric surface modelling in Fusion 360? Would I be better off working with a different software like Inventor or Rhino?
Message 6 of 14
f.with
in reply to: beresfordromeo

Of course: https://a360.co/2Kdxprt Thanks for your help!
Message 7 of 14
f.with
in reply to: g-andresen

Thanks günther, I also discovered this thread. I still have to get involved with the technique of using intersection curves. Regarding the sculpting workspace: There is no parametric modelling possible, is that true? In most cases people just seem to design their stuff around bodies or canvases.
Message 8 of 14
beresfordromeo

I can't see any geometry in your model. It could be something to do with the way you have shared it but i don't know much about that.

Message 9 of 14
f.with

Sorry, I forgot to share the failed lofting attempt, so the model included only 3D sketch splines. The website that I linked apparently doesn't show those, only surfaces and bodies. I've updated the model so you can see the lofting, too.
Message 10 of 14
beresfordromeo

I am no expert in this field as I don't share models very often but all I get is surface bodies. Apologies if I am making a mistake here.

Capture 8.JPG

Message 11 of 14
beresfordromeo

My apologies it worked fine when I downloaded the file.

Message 12 of 14
beresfordromeo

I assume that this is what you are trying to do. If so you cannot loft between those two sketches (Armhole and Biceps Plane), because they are coincident at one point. Nor too can you loft between the surface body, Body 17 and that sketch (Armhole)for the same reason.There are probably a number of ways to get around this but an easy one would be to create a Construction > Plane Along a path and use that plane (Plane36 in the attached image) to Modify > Split Body, Body17 , ie the surface body that is formed by the  loft between the Biceps Plane sketch and the Wrist Plane sketch.

This will create a new body (Body18) which you will need to delete or hide. Then loft from Body17 to the sketch called Armhole. You can obviously use a tangency from Body17  for your loft.

Hope this makes sense, thanks for sharing your model.

Capture 8.JPG

Message 13 of 14
f.with

Thank you so much, it worked! I now start to understand how to work with the loft tool!

Message 14 of 14
beresfordromeo

You are most welcome.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report