Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split a Body That Is Not Joined

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
498 Views, 8 Replies

Split a Body That Is Not Joined

I imported a design as an STL and converted it into BRep, however it converted into one body, despite there being five solid shapes. I need to split these however after adding a plane between them and trying to split the body along that, it won't let me as there is 'No intersection between target(s) and split tool.'

How would I get around this?

Thanks

Screenshot 2018-10-27 at 13.09.03.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

Why not delete 4 before conversion and then copy?

Why use stl of such simple geometry at all?

Stl is rubbish for engineering design - model as native geometry.

Stl is for printing - and end product of design.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

It was all one body before the conversion also so I don't know whether that would make any difference.

It was a STL file as I designed it in OpenSCAD for accuracy and scalability purposes however I would like to import it into fusion so I can sculpt it and change it slightly easier. I know it's not ideal but that's all OpenSCAD can do really.

Message 4 of 9
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

…. but that's all OpenSCAD can do really.

You apparently have Fusion?

I don't understand the issue?  You shouldn't need this "OpenSCAD" that you speak of.

Can  you Attach your original *.stl file here?

Message 5 of 9
TrippyLighting

In the time you've already spent trying to figure out how to work with this .stl in Fusion 36-0 you could have easily remodeled this part in Fusion 360 with CAD accuracy.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
mavigogun

I'd take that advice- model the part in Fusion.    You've done part of the work already, importing reference geometry.   Free expert consideration of your problem- supplying the requested file should be a no-brainer.

Message 7 of 9
dsap4004

I've found that if you convert the mesh to a brep and then make one side of a face healed by deleting the extra geometry you can use split body to separate floating objects. While it's not ideal to do this sometimes you have to work with a mesh that has many objects in it and they are not always repeat objects but many unique bodies as a mesh and it would be a ton of work to redraw them all depending on the geometry involved and the number of items involved. Splitting the converted body can be much faster if you can get it to work.

Message 8 of 9
dsap4004

I've found that if you convert the mesh to a brep and then make one side of a face healed by deleting the extra geometry you can use split body to separate floating objects. While it's not ideal to do this sometimes you have to work with a mesh that has many objects in it and they are not always repeat objects but many unique bodies as a mesh and it would be a ton of work to redraw them all depending on the geometry involved and the number of items involved. Splitting the converted body can be much faster if you can get it to work.

Message 9 of 9
dsap4004

This is how I did it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report