Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch: Move Tool Moving Erratically

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
MaxHugen
412 Views, 12 Replies

Sketch: Move Tool Moving Erratically

After creating a new Sketch, I copied another sketch into it, then tried to move it using the horizontal arrow. It behaved erratically, moving either up or down as well. This is shown in the screencast.

I tried saving the project, restarting the computer, and running Compute All to check for any errors. Didn't help. The Move dialog does not show any change of position in the Z axis, although it has moved in Z as well as X direction.

Tried it again in another new sketch, but with just a 2 point box - the Move tool worked OK there.  I've copied sketches from one to another many times before without issue, so this has me puzzled. Anyone have a suggestion as to what could be happening?

MaxHugen_0-1620651122192.png

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jeff_strater
in reply to: MaxHugen

there is something strange going on here, certainly.  I don't see quite the level of movement that you are seeing, but I do get a few jumps.  I'll investigate.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 13
MaxHugen
in reply to: jeff_strater

Thanks Jeff. I'll try a new sketch and copy into it again.
Message 4 of 13
MaxHugen
in reply to: jeff_strater

Tried again, same result. FYI, the sketch I copied was component "Hull", sketch :Section Transom".
Message 5 of 13
MaxHugen

Jeff, the original sketch shows the same problem. No other sketches that I've checked so far exhibit this behaviour.

Also opened up an early version from when I first did the hull, the sketch there also has the issue. Hope you can find the cause of this.
Message 6 of 13
jeff_strater

@MaxHugen - I suspected it had nothing to do with the copy, so thanks for confirming this.  It looks like this is probably an issue with the main sketch solver and the spline solver (there is a separate bit of code which handles splines).  

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 13
jeff_strater

I was able to reproduce this by just copying the sketch to a completely new design.  This is just some kind of solver weirdness, I suspect, so I sent it off to the sketch team to investigate further.  The bug is FUS-82707

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 8 of 13
MaxHugen

That might explain an earlier problem I have with that sketch - SailGP added a transom extension to the hulls, so I tried to Loft that sketch with another, "Section Transom Extension". I needed a couple of Rails, but despite Loft saying the top rail doesn't touch one of the  profiles, it shows Coincident Constraints to both in Edit.

MaxHugen_0-1620672308326.png

Message 9 of 13
davebYYPCU

I would expect to see a red blob telling you which end of the rail is incorrect, when you get that error.

Did you Project > Intersect the Splines to the Rail sketch?

Is the Rail sketch a separate 2d sketch?

Turn off Chain Select.

Couple of things that normally bite.

Might help....

Message 10 of 13
MaxHugen
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Hi Dave, yes I added Project > 3D Geometry, to link the 2 top points of each "section" sketch to the separate Rail sketch. I've seen the red visual indicator showing a missing "touch" in other Lofts, but not in this one.

I don't yet understand what Chain Select does though?
Message 11 of 13
davebYYPCU

Chain Select will allow the rail to be joined to a profile curve, and send the Loft tool into orbit.

I would not / have not used Include 3d Geometry for this, it causes your sketch to become a 3d sketch, Fusion is a lot happier with many 2d sketches.  Project > Intersect is more appropriate, wont say right or wrong.

Might help....

Message 12 of 13
MaxHugen

What would be "best practice" to replace the corrupt (?) object in the sketch?  I did something like that once before because I made a mess of it - deleted the object and recreated it in the same sketch - and later found I had a heap of errors in subsequent actions. I did resolve the errors, but it took some time.

Is there a better way to do this?

Message 13 of 13
davebYYPCU

deleted the object and recreated it

That's it in a nutshell.

Much better to edit than delete, and even then somethings will break but not as many.

Might help....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report