Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal twisted pyramid base for sculpture

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
3acorns
654 Views, 10 Replies

Sheet metal twisted pyramid base for sculpture

I have made a sheet metal kinetic sculpture somewhat like the one in the link and photo below. I used Fusion 360 to design all of the moving parts. I cannot find a way to design the Twisting base like the one below. This style of base is used by many artists, so there must be a way to design it in either fusion 360 or some other program. Do I need to use Solid works or Inventor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://images.app.goo.gl/PHx4ngja951YsjwT6

Andrew CarsonAndrew Carson

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
g-andresen
in reply to: 3acorns

Hi,

maybe this?

twisted basetwisted base

günther

Message 3 of 11
3acorns
in reply to: g-andresen

Thanks Guenther. I'm a beginner, so struggling with creating the 3D spline perpendicular to rectangle sketch. Can you create sheet metal flange and flat patterns for each side of the body?

Message 4 of 11
laughingcreek

You can only convert surfaces that follow the sheet metal rules into a sheetmetal body that can then be flattened.   Your object has compound curves, so fusion won't be able to flatten it.  

a possible work flow would be to export the surfaces to mesh mixer and unwrap them.

Message 5 of 11
3acorns
in reply to: laughingcreek

Thanks. I've managed to create the nice twisted bodies, but like you say, can't get them into sheet metal unfolding. There must be a way. 

Message 6 of 11
laughingcreek

probably. but probably not with fusion.  post your model, let's have a look

file-export as .f3d

Message 7 of 11
3acorns

Here are 2 attempts.

First file: Created body by lofting along a 3D spline. The 6"x6" base bottom and the 2"x2" top are in the correct locations.

Second file: Playing around and managed to create flanges following a spline and used similar flanges to cut tapers into flanges. Do you see any way to get the first approach to convert to sheet metal flanges? If not, I may be able to piece something together using second approach.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Stars Base3-28-2020 loft body along spline v4.f3d

Stars 03-28-2020 flange along spline v2.f3d

I'm not sure if these files actually attached. Please let me know.

Message 8 of 11
3acorns

Here are the files.

Message 9 of 11
laughingcreek

edit - nevermind, they're attached now

the files didn't attach.

You attach files at the bottom, here-attach files.jpg

Message 10 of 11
laughingcreek

both your examples have compound curvature, so you won't be able to use sheet metal.  attached is an exampe where I was carfull to NOT have compound curvature, and so was able to unfold it.  it doesn't twist though.  the trade off if yoiu want to only use fusion

also attached is a mesh file where I took the surfaces from your first model and opened in mesh mixer, then unwrapped the surfaces.  this may be better for your purposes.  and it's easier.

unwrap.jpg

Message 11 of 11
3acorns

Thanks for the excellent answer and help. This will keep me busy and learning for a while.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report