Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to render a Cork Material?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
barentroth
3557 Views, 3 Replies

How to render a Cork Material?

What is the best way to render Cork in Fusion 360?

Is it listed among the rendering materials and I have just missed it?

or should I try and create it? is so what's the best way to do that?

I have 3D form that is to be made in Cork.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
martha.deans
in reply to: barentroth

Hi barentroth,

You can edit appearances, and in Advanced Settings > Parameters, you can set the image file for that appearance. So I grabbed an image off Google of a piece of cork and loaded that in as the texture, and now my part that was once metal is made of cork!

This is does leave kind of a square looking pattern, but I also just pulled one off Google like a noob 🙂

CorkAppearance.PNG

Happy Answer Day!

Marti Deans
Product Manager, Fusion 360 Manufacturing
Message 3 of 4

Another ages old tip to boost the looks of your renders and which is very easy to do it to "bevel your edges", meaning you should put a littel chamfer or radius on each edge, particularly the ones close to the camera.

Also, instead of using just an image, look for a texture that includes a bump, or normal map and use the bump/normal map in the settings called "Relieve pattern"

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
kidd_milan
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I had the same question and appreciated the extra info from @TrippyLighting about bump/normal maps.  Here's a free cork material "seamless" image along with a bump and normal map that I found:  

http://www.texturise.club/2013/08/seamless-cork-wood-maps.html

And here's a brief background on how these maps work; it clarified quite a bit for me:

https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/film-games/bump-normal-and-displacement-maps

Though it seemed that the grayscale image was for the "Roughness" setting and the purple/blue for "Relieve pattern."

Cheers!

Milan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report