Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal - bend radius from two sides

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Bernd_CAD
2054 Views, 7 Replies

Sheet metal - bend radius from two sides

Hello,

I would like to design an aluminum cover. After bending, the slot will be welded to close the surface. At the corner I want to have a really round ball shape. As you see, at the moment, I have a big hole at the place where the round edge should be. I played with the Fusion bend overwrite options but was not successful. 

Is there a way to get it round so that later on it is possible to extract a flat sheet dxf file?

Thanks for your help.

Eck-2.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
etfrench
in reply to: Bernd_CAD

Try the techniques detailed by @TheCADWhisperer in this thread.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
carl.j.barker

Playing with 3 bend intersections in sheet metal rules may still be your answer, try Round with radius set to 1*thickness - but note changes don't show on the 3d model but will be placed on the flat pattern (quite strange).

Message 4 of 8
chrisplyler

You can't make any flange or bend have any curvature that is in more than a single direction, such as spherical which is what you're wanting. They can't be made with a shear and brake. You can Model or Patch such a shape, heck you can Model/Patch whatever the heck you want, but it won't unfold into a sheet metal flat pattern.

If your part is pretty small, then the real world solution would be to fill that triangle with built up weld and grind it into a smooth corner. If your part is large, then you might want to actually hammer out a spherical surface and then cut a triangle shape out of it to then weld into the corner hole.

Message 5 of 8
Bernd_CAD
in reply to: carl.j.barker

Hello, Thank you very much for all the answers!!

I tried several options. In the end I switched back and generated a flat pattern.

It's strange. But the flat pattern looks different.  3D-Model and Flat pattern doesn't look similar. But the flat pattern looks like I want to have it.

Please see my origami trials Smiley Happy

Papier01.jpgPapier02.jpg

Message 6 of 8

You want to fold / unfold paper? Have you define a material?

Message 7 of 8

It's 3mm Aluminium. Was only to show the result.

Material is defined.

Message 8 of 8
chrisplyler

Look at your paper pattern. The wide radius bends CANNOT exist together in the corner. It's not geometrically possible. There MUST be a cutout that separates them. In your paper pattern, the wide radius at the outside edges basically tapers down to a small radius at the corner. If you tried to tape it over an actual form with constant radius fillets and a round corner, your paper would wrinkle up there around the corner.

Now you can certainly 3D print, or cast, or carve out of soap a form with constant radius fillets and a round corner, but you can't make it out of sheet metal with a shear and a brake, and that's why Fusion doesn't allow it in the sheet metal environment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators