Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal - bend radius from two sides

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Bernd_CAD
2077 Views, 7 Replies

Sheet metal - bend radius from two sides

Hello,

I would like to design an aluminum cover. After bending, the slot will be welded to close the surface. At the corner I want to have a really round ball shape. As you see, at the moment, I have a big hole at the place where the round edge should be. I played with the Fusion bend overwrite options but was not successful. 

Is there a way to get it round so that later on it is possible to extract a flat sheet dxf file?

Thanks for your help.

Eck-2.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
etfrench
in reply to: Bernd_CAD

Try the techniques detailed by @TheCADWhisperer in this thread.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
carl.j.barker

Playing with 3 bend intersections in sheet metal rules may still be your answer, try Round with radius set to 1*thickness - but note changes don't show on the 3d model but will be placed on the flat pattern (quite strange).

Message 4 of 8
chrisplyler

You can't make any flange or bend have any curvature that is in more than a single direction, such as spherical which is what you're wanting. They can't be made with a shear and brake. You can Model or Patch such a shape, heck you can Model/Patch whatever the heck you want, but it won't unfold into a sheet metal flat pattern.

If your part is pretty small, then the real world solution would be to fill that triangle with built up weld and grind it into a smooth corner. If your part is large, then you might want to actually hammer out a spherical surface and then cut a triangle shape out of it to then weld into the corner hole.

Message 5 of 8
Bernd_CAD
in reply to: carl.j.barker

Hello, Thank you very much for all the answers!!

I tried several options. In the end I switched back and generated a flat pattern.

It's strange. But the flat pattern looks different.  3D-Model and Flat pattern doesn't look similar. But the flat pattern looks like I want to have it.

Please see my origami trials Smiley Happy

Papier01.jpgPapier02.jpg

Message 6 of 8

You want to fold / unfold paper? Have you define a material?

Message 7 of 8

It's 3mm Aluminium. Was only to show the result.

Material is defined.

Message 8 of 8
chrisplyler

Look at your paper pattern. The wide radius bends CANNOT exist together in the corner. It's not geometrically possible. There MUST be a cutout that separates them. In your paper pattern, the wide radius at the outside edges basically tapers down to a small radius at the corner. If you tried to tape it over an actual form with constant radius fillets and a round corner, your paper would wrinkle up there around the corner.

Now you can certainly 3D print, or cast, or carve out of soap a form with constant radius fillets and a round corner, but you can't make it out of sheet metal with a shear and a brake, and that's why Fusion doesn't allow it in the sheet metal environment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report