Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

set which constraints for...?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
604 Views, 5 Replies

set which constraints for...?

Hi all.

I've drawn a block, a slot, cut the slot, made a pin, pulled the pin, making it a component/body I want to lock/constrain to only slide within the slot. 

Which constraint would I use for this? 

I'll eventually want to do some animation so I can toy with different kinds of mechanical connectors, and components to "test" which one's would work best for my purposes. 

TYIA.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds like Slider Joint, with 

Limits set to appropriate distances, 

Contact sets are not recommended.

Might help....

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

@davebYYPCUwrote:

Sounds like Slider Joint, with 

Limits set to appropriate distances, 

Contact sets are not recommended.

Might help....

Hi Dave.

Please elaborate.

I set the pin to be 0.001" undersize of the slot. It'll probably need to be 0.002, or even 0.003 under, in real life, but for now, I set the pin's size at 0.001. 

Thank you.

Message 4 of 6
davebYYPCU

Reverting back to this example, this is what I mentioned, 

but in the old thread there was a slot shaped pin, that could be moved up - down in the slot, 

where I am showing a one direction joint, 

if the pin had an arm on it, you can used the Pin slot Joint.

Only works with components.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

@davebYYPCUwrote:

Reverting back to this example, this is what I mentioned, 

but in the old thread there was a slot shaped pin, that could be moved up - down in the slot, 

where I am showing a one direction joint, 

if the pin had an arm on it, you can used the Pin slot Joint.

Only works with components.

Ok.

As I'm understanding this, I'm selecting assemble, then as-built joints. I then select slider. In looking at this, I noticed there's a primary item which says I have to convert the bodies to components. 

Is my selection of bodies, limited to the two which I want to interact with each other? Or do I just select the entire collection of bodies? 

In looking through your example, you used the previous sample you developed. Yours is different from mine, in that it's a laterally sliding pin, to a slotted hole. 

Mine is a slotted pin, which will move linear, along the slotted hole. 

Would I use the slider, or ....? 

Aha..... I figured it out. I found that the slider tool allows the user to choose the axis of movement. I was able to select the linear movement I desired. Thank you for the screencast.

I'm still having the problem of aligning the pin within the hole. Which was what this post was originally about. 

Again, thank you. 

Addendum.......

I aligned the pin in the slot. 

Message 6 of 6
davebYYPCU

For simple examples in the forum, usually components only have one body, for the obvious reasons,  

so Joints, this one has the other type, move and join in the process, not As built.

Joint needs a location on each component, that creates the alignment, selecting a position on the body in the Component.

The moving Component, selected before the grounded / stationary one.

If there is no convenient joint location, there are offsets available, during the positioning process.

In this case the common points in both components, is / are the centre points of the slot radius.....

Might help....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report