Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe on a grid with intersecting lines

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
tripleSheva
370 Views, 7 Replies

Pipe on a grid with intersecting lines

I'm trying to design an enclosure, and I'd like to be able to just `Select Pipe` > `Select all sketch lines` and go. However - because, I assume I have some sharp angles and intersections - it doesn't quite work. Getting the "The sweep could not create a valid body. Try changing the profile or path, or adjusting the operation values." error, but I'm not quite sure what "adjustments" I need to do.

I could probably pipe the outer frame first, and then have another pipe for the inner sections, but I'd prefer to be able to do it in one operation. Am I missing something, or is this just a limitation of the Pipe function?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
davebYYPCU
in reply to: tripleSheva

We don’t know if the Pipe is round, square or triangle profile.

The sketch is too complicated for Fusion to know what you want, single step selections will dictate a result.

Sweep the external boundary to get mitred corners, pipe will not extend past the extent if it’s centre line.

Might help….

Message 3 of 8
tripleSheva
in reply to: davebYYPCU

It's a round pipe, but that doesn't matter. The issue is indeed that Fusion doesn't know how to pipe in different directions. I ended doing multiple pipe (join) operations.

Now that I created the component (two copies), how can I create the connecting pipes between the copies, at each intersection of the profile? Creating a sketch for each "elevation" doesn't feel right to me.

Message 4 of 8
davebYYPCU

Of course it matters, square pipes would be extrude.

One sketch, circles at the intersections required, and extrude all joiners.

Might help….

Message 5 of 8
tripleSheva

Sorry, I meant that it doesn't matter for the Pipe command. It cannot handle it regardless of the profile selected.

As for your solution, it works, but it also means I have to manually select every segment of every pipe (almost 50 of them), to extrude this. And if I decide to change my sketch afterwards, I'll have to redo all the extrusions. Is there no better way?

Message 6 of 8
davebYYPCU

The joiners would be in a separate sketch at my place.

Project centre points, from the frame.  Draw, pattern the circles, and Thin Extrude tubes.

Almost 50 of them, huh?  I count 11 in one frame.

When you work smart, you have one frame, copied not a copied sketch.

Might help….

Message 7 of 8
tripleSheva

50 some pieces, yeah. Because the lines break the circles when it's all in one sketch. 😄

I didn't want to create another sketch and project so many points onto it, but I guess that's the way to go. Thanks!
Message 8 of 8
davebYYPCU

Not for me to stop you doing it any way that suits, 

lots of simple sketches will make Fusion happier than you.

Might help….

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report