Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

panning with trackpad is slow

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
vacljan
3506 Views, 25 Replies

panning with trackpad is slow

Hi there.

I have an issue with trackpad panning. First of all, I use magic trackpad on my mac with macos Sierra.

Here is the issue. When I use panning gesture with two fingers the object is moving really slowly. I have to drag across whole trackpad many many times to get it on position I want. When I click on ,,pan hand" simbol down below (where obit is and so on). Then click by one finger pan is working fine and object is moving fast and exactly with mouse.

Is there any possibility to set up the speed of moving or so?

Than you for your advises.

Sincerely

Jan

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
Phil.E
in reply to: vacljan

Hi,

There is a known issue* with trackpad panning that involves Perspective and Perspective with Ortho faces.

Can you try changing to purely Orthographic camera and retesting it? Please let us know how it goes.

Camera_settings_orthographic.png

*(internal reference FUS-29070)

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 26
vacljan
in reply to: Phil.E

Hi, thank you for your answer.

I have tried to switch between all cameras. So this is what happened:
When I use orthographic camera (to launch with ortho camera or switch from other cameras when app is open) then the panning is slow. When I switch to perspective camera or perspective with ortho faces camrea, then the panning is much faster (not like when I click on the hand simbol for panning).
When I launch Fusion 360 again and one of the last two setting of the camera was choosen then the panning is faster. And one more information. When I switch to ortho camera from the odhers after this the panning is quicker as long as I don't close the app (when I relaunch the app and ortho was choosen before. it is slow again).

I hope it is understandable. How I have explained it.

Thank you

Sincerely

Jan

Message 4 of 26
nkburdick

@Phil.E Any updates on if this is on the plan to be addressed?  I thought it used to work better but with the recent update it seems to have broken.  I've posted on this thread as well, but I'll add the screencast here for people that find this post:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/mac-trackpad-not-working-anymore/m-p/11497014/high...

Message 5 of 26
Phil.E
in reply to: nkburdick

This post is very old and has nothing to do with the current state of the trackpad. For anyone else on this post, reading this thread after some years of quiet, the recent post is about a new trackpad driver called "native trackpad" and it's found in the Fusion 360 preview features in Preferences.

Thanks for the reminder and video. I've added it to the ticket for improving pan speed. (FUS-103049)

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 26
tranq006

Hello,

I still currently have this issue (2023). I use my trackpad on Mac and panning is super slow, especially within sketches. I am on just orthographic view.

Message 7 of 26
Phil.E
in reply to: tranq006

Thanks for letting us know. Are you using the native trackpad preview?

The improvement ticket I mentioned above has not yet been  taken up by the development teams.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 26
tranq006

I am now, still seems slow, but perhaps it is just my computer

Message 9 of 26
nkburdick
in reply to: tranq006

I'll add a bit of context here as well to perhaps help @Phil.E and the development team.  On my older installations of Fusion 360, before the Native Trackpad preview feature was available inside fusion, I used to use the Native Trackpad Add-in.  As it happens, I had to use and old computer the other day that had this add-in installed and an older version of Fusion 360.  It did not have the slow panning problem in the design workspace.  It functioned just like other trackpad gestures apps on my macbook pro and had inertial panning as I described in my screencast.  However, it did require that you press Command before you scrolled in the Data panel, which Fusion does not require now.  Anyway, Fusion is workable now for sure, and I use it everyday, but having that inertial panning would be a nice quality of life improvement.  When I realized that my old computer was doing it, it was really nice there for a bit 🙂

Thanks! 

Message 10 of 26
Phil.E
in reply to: nkburdick

Thanks. Yes there is room for improvement with Native Trackpad. First we have to get it out of preview.

Then there are improvements, like matching the OS speed settings. The ticket for improving pan speed: (FUS-103049)

I appreciate your patience with this, sorry for any inconveniences.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 26
hodentier

To anyone facing this, try raising the scroll speed of the Trackpad under: 

System Preferences > Accessibility > Pointer Control > Trackpad Options

I turned it to the second fastest, now its perfect and scrolling in the OS still feels good.

Message 12 of 26
it-ony

Raising the trackpad speed doesn't change anything for me. Mac Book Pro, M2, 2023 Model. Only Trackpad attached.

Running at 2560x1600 px resolution.

Scrolling with 2 fingers is slow like hell. Also, it doesn't change if I zoom into it. Zooming with the pinch gesture is fast as you can see. Native Trackpad extension from https://github.com/mertrois/Native-Trackpad was awesome, but isn't working since a fusion update.

Fusion team, please do something about it. Mac users are not used to carry an extra mouse as the trackpad works just fine... beside in fusion.

Message 13 of 26
it-ony

@Phil.E would be nice, if your team can have a look. It's super annoying. Thanks!

Message 14 of 26
lance.carocci

Hi folks,

This setting is currently managed at the OS level. macOS differentiates between the panning speed of a traditional mouse, and that of a trackpad. The latter is configured within system Accessibility options.

I realize this isn't easily discoverable in its current state, but should accomplish what you desire.

Lance Carocci
Fusion QA for UI Framework/Cloud Workflows, and fervent cat enthusiast
Message 15 of 26
it-ony

Even setting the slider to the maximum, leads to way to slow panning for me. Would be nice, if we could enter a scale factor in fusion to solve the problem.

Message 16 of 26
simonmiso

same here - setting accessabiilty slider to the max does not help!
I cannot believe that this issue exists 6 years!

Message 17 of 26
matti.suuronen

Macbook air M2 14inch, Sonoma 14.0. Changing Accessibility->Pointer Control->Trackpad Options -> Scroll Speed: set to maximum, the view pans abt 16mm when doing a full left-to-right two-finger swipe. Set to minimum, it pans about 6mm. So yes there is a difference. But that I have to swipe 120mm to make the view pan 16mm does not sound like very ergonomic. The issue is so grave that either no-one in QA is using a mac trackpad, or I have something funny going on with my setup. Perhaps someone could verify that they are indeed able to get a roughly one-to-one movement on the mac screen, or even a faster one on external displays?

Message 18 of 26
nkburdick
in reply to: matti.suuronen

Macbook M2 Pro 14in, Sonoma 14.0.

When I raise the Trackpad scroll speed from middle to max, I do see a fairly dramatic difference.  On my 14" screen, The origin (using that as ref due to it is a single point) moves from almost all the way left to right on the screen when swiping 2 fingers with a moderate speed.  Interestingly, I just noticed that when I really quickly move the fingers across the trackpad, almost flicking, the models move much farther (off the screen).  I suspect that is sort of the "intertia"?  Just something I've noticed.  Curious if anyone else sees a different behavior.  

Nick

Message 19 of 26
matti.suuronen

Do you have the latest version 2.0.17721 ? I believe my panning was faster earlier, but cannot tell for sure. I also noticed that there seems to some change in the panning distance, depending on how fast you swipe, but it does not show up with any reasonable swiping speeds.

Message 20 of 26
matti.suuronen

Hmm.. restarting F360 seems to have helped quite a bit. Now the move is about 150mm with a single swipe, with the fastest scroll speed. Quite a change compared to the 16mm I saw earlier. But still, I might want to have the ability to change the F360 speed in relation to the system-set speed, as a single setting might not be convenient for both. And of course, it would be nice if the panning speed did not drop to a halt unexplainably.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report