Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opening a f3z file

34 REPLIES 34
Message 1 of 35
Anonymous
28446 Views, 34 Replies

opening a f3z file

I had downloaded an f3z file but i cant open it in autodesk fusion 360. please help

34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

Use upload in the data panel, the cloud icon. Note you have to be in a project to upload.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 35
reiner
in reply to: HughesTooling

I have the same issue - I am in a Project and select the cloud upload icon and then the f3z file. I select the Project as "Location" there and press okay but then nothing happens. I wait and refresh the project in the Data panel but the new design never shows up there.

Is there a way to see the progress of the upload or if errors happened?

Message 4 of 35
HughesTooling
in reply to: reiner

After selecting the fz3 file and clicking Upload you should see a dialog box like this, there's also a progress meter at the bottom of the data panel.

before.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 35
reiner

I get unfortunately none of those. The upload window closes immediately after clicking the upload button with no feedback at all.

Message 6 of 35
HughesTooling

@Mike.Grau Any ideas on what might be wrong.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 7 of 35
reiner

I can unzip the f3z and then open the (one and only) f3d that is in it via "New Design from File" but I think this is not how opening a f3z is supposed to work Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 35
HughesTooling

No you shouldn't need to do that, does the assembly stay linked loading the files one at a time? Not sure who's available from support at the weekends let's try @James.Youmatz.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 9 of 35
JDMather

Can you attach the file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 35
reiner
in reply to: JDMather

Here is the file.

Message 11 of 35
HughesTooling

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is the file.

The file uploads OK but it only has one design in it. Seems odd that it's an f3z if there are no linked parts, have you modified the file?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 12 of 35
HughesTooling

OK I guess you downloaded from the dashboard or a download link, for some reason they are giving you an FZ3 file even for a single part design. Looks like a bug.

Mark.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 13 of 35

Thanks, @HughesTooling.  I've seen some cases like this as well.  I'll look into it with the data management team.  There's nothing wrong with this - you can still upload it and it will just create that single design in your project, but I agree that it seems odd.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 14 of 35

Thanks @jeff_strater also seems @reiner couldn't upload the file from his data panel just to add to the problem.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 15 of 35

Good point.  Yes, I'm not sure if those are related or not.  The other thing which makes f3z less useful is that you cannot do "New Design From File" with it.

OK, we'll see if we can track this down.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 16 of 35
reiner
in reply to: jeff_strater

I downloaded that f3z from A360 after another person shared it with me.

Would be great if that import could be fixed. If you need more info from me, let me know.

Message 17 of 35
dthemesslkollewijn

dont know if i may complain since i am using the educational license and i dont have to pay for it...

but this issue is from 2016 and not been resolved...

my fusion is not connecting to the cloud i would love to continue working offline but its seems that there is no way to access the files, or open fusion archives with fusion.

Message 18 of 35

AFAIK You can only open .f3z files when being online with Fusion 360. It’s always been this way and I doubt it’ll change.

EESignature

Message 19 of 35
rogercaplan

f3z files are just zip archives, so you can extract the individual model files with any zip extractor.

Message 20 of 35
HughesTooling
in reply to: rogercaplan

@rogercaplan F3Z files are usually generated because they are linked designs, either a 2d drawing or an assembly. If you extract the files manually the links will be broken, so OK if you want the individual files but your assembly will not open.

For a while the cloud exporter would export single files as f3z but I think that's fixed.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report