Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help defining joints to simulate design function

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
leandro.scovino
249 Views, 6 Replies

Need help defining joints to simulate design function

I'm designing an electric gate to my home, and I'm having some issues. Decided to simulate the mechanics to proof of design.

Simplified everything I could, wheel hubs and hinges, but simply can't make it work correctly in Fusion 360. The door is fully articulated, and needs to make the curve to close.

Project link: https://a360.co/3kc25bA

Thanks in advance.

render.PNG

leandroscovino_0-1650886650048.png

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 3 of 7

Sure. Please see the file attached.

Best,

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 7

Your attached F3D file is empty.  Please try again.  Maybe you should try and download and open your file before posting to validate if it is valid.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 7

Hi John, thank you for the heads up.

Now it's going to work.

Message 6 of 7

I ripped up your assembly to create one that will illustrate the ONLY way you are going to get the door wheel to follow around a curved track.  Contact Sets will NOT work in your model.  You have to create Tangent Relationships and these can probably only be on either the top or bottom of your door.  I would suggest the side I used because of the track and wheel simplicity.  Constrain the other components to just follow along.  The Screencast will explain my method and I attached my "ripped" up assembly to let you play with.  I hope this will give you an idea of how the tangent relationship will be the only way to solve your issue.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 7 of 7

Hi John, I'm very grateful for your help!

I was able to replicate your design but, when I add another door, everything brakes.

Well, I guess I'll have to think another way to try this. The main problem here is to define a good curve radius according to door width. If I use a small radius, the system doesn't work well.

Based on some sketches and calculations, I believe a curve radius of 115% of the door width is good, but I'd like to see this working. I hate to go empirical hahaha.

Thanks again, John.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report