Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modelling a sword hilt from BOTW

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
andre32BJN
185 Views, 3 Replies

Modelling a sword hilt from BOTW

I've done a number of Zelda swords and I'm looking to do this Great Frostblade. The modelling of the hilt section just before the blade has me stumped though! 

I created the bottom area below it by lofting polygon hex sketches. But now I'm not really sure how to proceed. I was planning on creating a profile along the same orientation of the blade, but how to successfully then extrude or loft to join my existing polygon lofts. 

Appreciate any suggestions. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Drewpan
in reply to: andre32BJN

Hi,

Your model is different to the image. If you look at the image, the handle seems to be either square or hexagonal

- not round as you have modeled it. In fact it seems to be made up of squares, hexagonal and octagonal parts. I think

I would model it from the ends. Create a hexagonal sketch - extrude it. Use the face of the extrusion as your next

sketch plane and create a square - extrude it. Use the end of that to set your next sketch plane - sketch a hexagon,

extrude that. Just keep on building the handle until it is as you want it.

You can create the wrapped look by a linear pattern of chamfered cubes then change their appearance.

Finally, I hope it is just for show because if you actually tried to use a sword like that you would probably break your

hands. The handle is way too narrow, the balance would be off and it would probably jar any time you hit something

solid (like another sword). It might look pretty but it would be a pig to use.😎

Cheers

Andrew

Message 3 of 4
andre32BJN

Thanks for the thoughts @Drewpan. I agree the sword itself is probably less functional in real-life than maybe it is in the game. They certainly design them for looks rather than functionality!

I ended up trying out a surface modelling technique that was fairly painful to do, but got to a decent result which I couldn't work out in the solid workspace. Given I've never done surface modelling of this type before, I'm fairly happy with the outcome.

Once it's 3d printed, I'll use leather wrap or similar on the handles to give a more realistic feel/look.

andre32BJN_0-1720419718584.png

Message 4 of 4
davebYYPCU

Got to be happy with that, 

Well done.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report