Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to place chain around the cylinder

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
saulius1005
262 Views, 4 Replies

How to place chain around the cylinder

Hi recently i draw two chain segments (08b-k2): Ekrano kopija 2024-07-07 211255.png

and now I want place it all around cylinder with diameter of 426mm:

Ekrano kopija 2024-07-07 211445.png

Issues is firstly how i can place both of segments equally range from cylinder (need turn inner segment) an second how I should prolong chain from 2 to 10 segments and so on? I tried make another sketch which one can help me turn slightly inner segment but it not help (simply i cant draw specific length arc. Fusion allow draw it only by angle).Ekrano kopija 2024-07-07 212103.png

Also I tried circular pattern but this function dint help either. It allows draw lines according to some angle or place bodies (all around cylinder I placed 55 but after that i am losing distance between segments (12.7mm). Fusion don't allow place exp. 55.2 or 55.7 bodies). 

So how I can do that? Draw polygon with exp. with 110 corners?

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jhackney1972
in reply to: saulius1005

So the Forum users will not have to model what you have already done to give you a solution, please attach your model.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 5
saulius1005
in reply to: jhackney1972

Here .f3d file

Message 4 of 5
Drewpan

Hi,

To achieve a chain around a circular object will depend on what you want the model of the chain to actually do. I can

create a model of the chain by simply using a circular pattern:

Drewpan_0-1720396431088.png

This will create a series of links around the part in a circle at the radius you select. What it will NOT do is to join those

links together so it acts like an actual chain. To do this you will need to actually create joints within those links.

Drewpan_0-1720396670984.png

If you use joints on the links you have created then the chain will actually act like a chain. If you do not use joints then

you can select an individual link and move it and it will be independent of the other links.

So to create what you actually want - a chain of links around a circular object - you need to first create all of the links

you need and then use joints to join them together.

If I was going to spend time to do this, I would not create a circular pattern of links. Unless it lined up EXACTLY with all

of the other links, which it may or may not,  the links will get in the way of each other when you are joining them.

If they do line up EXACTLY then you could use something called an As Built Joint -

Drewpan_1-1720397026462.png

If they don't line up EXACTLY then really your only option is to create each link and joint one at a time. It may be

possible to create say 1/4 or 1/6 of a rotation and copy a group of links and joints as a sub assembly to make it faster

but ultimately there is a bit of work involved in creating an actual functional chain of working links.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 5 of 5
davebYYPCU

Start again.  It for want to use the Move Tool, stop and ask how to do it without using the Move Tool.

Blue sketch articles are unstable and should keep you awake at night.

Answer the last question - first.

New Sketch - Create > Polygon > Edge Polygon (do not use origin at this stage)

draw a line, set 12.7 long, tab to the counter of sides and set 110.  Double left click the polygon and set it to Construction.

Now make the centre of Polygon coincident to the Origin.

Draw a circle on Origin 426 dia.

chnwhl.PNG

Now you have the position of every chain pin on the end points of the polygon lines.

You have the position of the cylinder.

chnwhl1.PNG

Add detail to sketch, and 6 Extrudes will do the 8 parts in the set.

chnwhl2.PNG

Circular pattern that set, 55 times.

Might help...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report