Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling Straight Cable with Adaptable Length

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dean.cheng99
536 Views, 6 Replies

Modeling Straight Cable with Adaptable Length

Hi, I am trying to connect two points giving the appearance of a tensioned string or cable that can stretch. The two points are on on two components that move relative to each other. I tried connecting the components with a 3D line and generating a pipe but as the components move the pipe remains stationary and does not adapt to the changing point positions. If I make the pipe a component and connect the ends to the other components with a ball joint, the pipe keeps the same length  which over constrains the assembly. Is there a simple way to render a straight cord that adapts to motion of an assembly without hindering it?

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jhackney1972
in reply to: dean.cheng99

Is this what you had in mind?  See Screencast

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
dean.cheng99
in reply to: jhackney1972

Yes, that is it.  I'd like to get my pipe length to adapt to the change in distance between two components as you had demonstrated. I tried to recreate your example. I created three components. The first block is grounded. The second is a copy/paste new of the first. The third component is a line sketched off to the side, then created a pipe following the line. I then made a rigid connection between the first block and the pipe.  At the other end of the pipe I made a sliding connection to the other block. But when I moved the second block, the end to the pipe is stationary. I dragged the block directly and also tried it by editing the sliding joint. I cannot get the pipe to adapt. I must be missing a step. 

Thanks for the quick reply.

Message 4 of 7
jhackney1972

In my example the Slider joint distance value is assigned to a parameter which is also is assigned as the length of the pipe path.  Change the slider movement changes the pipe length  so they stay together.

John Hackney, Retired
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
dean.cheng99
in reply to: jhackney1972

I did get the example to work. In the Edit Joint dialog box I noted the Offset Z parameter name I found by hovering the cursor over the value. In my case it was "d156". I then went into the sketch for the rod and inserted "d156" for the length dimension. Now when I drag the arrow for the offset Z joint alignment, the rod length changes.

I tried repeating the example again for practice but I ran into a stumbling block. The rod length dimension placeholder won't take it the parameter (different id this time). I suppose that when I was creating the rod, the slide joint didn't exist. I'm not sure how I was able to do it the first time.

Message 6 of 7
jhackney1972

Since you have solved your issue, please post an example and explanation of that solution, please.

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
dean.cheng99

Thanks jhackney for your clever idea. It doesn't solve my immediate problem with line length adaptation when I run a    motion study but it is a help for model editing.

I did come up with a cumbersome workaround. I made a multi-segment telescopic mast composed of 10 pipes components and 9 sliders all under the umbrella of a single component. The downside is that the length ratio is limited by the coarseness of the segmenting. Also if I have a lot of the units, the animation of the assembly gets bogged down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report