Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joints Failing

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Thegreatrandino
510 Views, 5 Replies

Joints Failing

I posted this question a few minutes ago with a bad link.  I could not find the original

When I expand the width the front right corner pulls apart.  Everything else holds. Also there isn't a problem changing the depth.

I edit the base skelton sketch and every thing changes as it should, except the front right corner.  Maybe the sketch front is wrong. IDK, I can't find the problem.

http://a360.co/2E019AB

TIA

Randino

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Thegreatrandino

@Thegreatrandino

"....front right corner pulls apart..."

if you mean this

coming apart.PNG

...then it can be corrected. You should constrain this sketch, the vertical line (for example with coincident)

coming apart-sketch front unconstrained-1.PNG

I constrained it and then the result is this

coming apart edited.PNG

Not a problem with joints, but with unconstrained sketch.

See attached file.

Manfred

PS Constrain sketches! Obviously there is more work for you to do:

depth changed to 38"

coming apart 38.PNG

And then I changed it to 39"

coming apart 39.PNG

Message 3 of 6

You've already got the answer, constrain those sketches.  I did a screen cast before seeing this had been answered, so I'll go ahead and post it anyway. 

Message 4 of 6
Thegreatrandino
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks! So, I really need to pay attention and ensure the sketch is contained by noticing the color of the sketch line.  With that said, when I applied the coincident constraint to the right edge of the Front sketch, the top line remained blue and all the others are black. That's what I want if I want to be able to change the width, correct?

Message 5 of 6

Thanks,

I really like seeing how you applied the contraint after you changed the dimension.

I like your display settings.  How did you do it?

Each component a different color

Dimensions appear on the sketch

Randino

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Thegreatrandino

@Thegreatrandino wrote:

With that said, when I applied the coincident constraint to the right edge of the Front sketch, the top line remained blue and all the others are black. That's what I want if I want to be able to change the width, correct?

Yes, this did the job for me. The sketch color coding depends on the "display settings" -> "environment" -> settings. I used "Grey Room", you used "Photo Booth".

See the difference:

photo booth.PNG

grey room.PNG

If you want to fully constrain the sketch, add a dimension, then all lines are black. In this case it is not necessary, but still a good idea. This way, you avoid an accidental drag-and-change of an unconstrained sketch geometry.

fully constrained.PNG

Different colors -> "Inspect" -> "Component Color Cycling Toggle".

Show sketch dimensions -> right click on sketch (in browser) -> "Show dimension"

Adding constraints: @laughingcreek dragged the endpoint to the desired position (see second 18 in screencast) and Fusion then automatically added the constraint. If you want to have more control then click on "coincident" constraint in the sketch palette and then select the two points you want to make coincident (you can also make the vertical line coincident to the point, same result).

Manfred

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report