Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint conflict when replacing one component in a design with another

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
zizumara
339 Views, 6 Replies

Joint conflict when replacing one component in a design with another

I have a fairly simple design of a robotic finger with three finger segments connected to three actuators by seven revolute joints.  Refer to the attached screencast.  All segments and actuators in the existing design work together to extend and retract the finger.  I want to replace the innermost actuator with a different actuator that has identical attachment points.  I have tried to do this by deleting the joints between the old actuator and the rest of the design and then replacing the joints with new revolute joints, but I get a joint conflict when adding the second joint.  I have also tried deleting all of the joints and starting from scratch, beginning with the grounded component and then working progressively outward, but I still run into joint conflicts.  I suspect that there is a specific order in which I need to select components and add joints to avoid this.  Can anyone please review the screencast and suggest the proper way to do this?

Here's the public link to my design:

https://a360.co/31KlRTp

John
Richland Hills, TX

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
davebYYPCU
in reply to: zizumara

Model works as expected, 

without the screencast, I can not see how to join the gear profiled component.

Is there something missing in the file?

Message 3 of 7
zizumara
in reply to: davebYYPCU

My apologies.  I forgot to include the screencast link.  Here it is:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/a0e4dc24-93b7-4698-a110-f2a227671fbd

Message 4 of 7
jhackney1972

Somewhere along the line, you have a Z-Axis error between your Gear component and the mechanism it is attaching into.  Without searching to find this axis, simply use a Cylindrical Joint for the joint applied to the drive pin on the gear.  This will allow it to adjust to the variation in the Z-Axis.  Model is attached with a different name.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 7
zizumara
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thanks.  I did as you suggested, and this eliminates the conflict.
Is there any way to avoid, detect, or correct Z-axis errors before they create joint conflicts like this?

Message 6 of 7
laughingcreek

the toothed part isn't the same thickness as the part your replacing.  it's not going to just drop in without adjusting something somewhere.

Message 7 of 7
zizumara
in reply to: laughingcreek

Aha.  When I measured the two parts before with inspect (I), my precision was only set to 3 decimal places, so I thought they were the same thickness.  Increasing the precision and remeasuring revealed that the new part was not 0.1 inches thick, but 0.10024 inches thick.  Nice catch!  Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report