Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with the parting line tool

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Oceanconcepts
2691 Views, 10 Replies

Issues with the parting line tool

In exploring the parting line tool (thanks for that!), I think there are a couple of ways in which it could be made more useful. I want to verify my understanding before adding this to the Idea section.

First, it tries to split the body at a parting line, not just give me the parting line. There are two problems I have run into with this: 

1) Some complex shapes can't be split, and generate an error- actually this has been the case for most of what I have tried, splitting the body fails. If there is a penetration through the body at an angle, it may be perfectly moldable, but the splitting operation will fail. 

2) I don't necessarily want to split the entire body at the parting line- I may want to just split a section of it for a removable portion. I may not want to split it at all- but still want the parting line as a reference for a surface detail to cover mold marks

My workaround has been to chose the Split Face option, then go into Patch and create surfaces with the resulting parting line edges, I can then use either the loft command to build a surface between them, or create a sketch, project the face edges, and create a surface between the sketch curves. This enables me to have control over where I split the body along the parting line, and where I don't, and to avoid areas that would cause a single split operation to fail.  Of course, this process is problematic in the parametric environment.

Unless I'm missing something, I think this tool tries to jump ahead too much and assumes my design intent, this ends up being limiting. It requires lots of steps to get to the basic information: Where is the parting line?  What I would like it to do is to create a 3D sketch curve(s) along the parting line, and leave it up to me how I use it. To split, or not to split...

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
furutas
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Hi Ron,

I'm not sure if someone has replied to your post already, but I thought I would follow your discussion since I am an Fusion 360 Developer deeply involved with developing the Parting Line Split tool.

Thanks for the feedback and insight into how you are using the tool and what would ideally be appropriate for your workflow. I can see the benefit of a tool that only creates the parting line geometry without attempting to split the body. You've given us some good food for thought! Thank you.

In the more immediate short term, I may be able to help address your problems in point (a). It seems that you've encountered failures to split some complex models that you've tried the tool on?

We are already working hard to resolve some known problems. If you have any .f3d data that demonstrates the problems you've had, it could help us a lot and we would really appreciate you sharing them with us Smiley Happy

(You can send me a private email by clicking on my user ID, then clicking "Send this user a private message").

Thanks!

Sugi

Fusion 360 Development Team
Message 3 of 11
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: furutas

I'm afraid it's been too long for me to even recall exactly what file I was working on. But I know I was always able to split successfully by using the Split Faces option and the steps I described. I think for me the most useful thing is just the ability to create the parting line geometry.

- Ron

Message 4 of 11
IbrahimAltiay
in reply to: furutas

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the tip. Your workaround worked for me as well.

@furutas I'll email you the model I was having issues with. I hope that can help you 🙂

Cheers,

Ibrahim

Message 5 of 11
cekuhnen

sad to ask but how does the parting line split tool work?

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 6 of 11
IbrahimAltiay
in reply to: cekuhnen

From what I understand, the intent of the tool is to split a part along the most appropriate line perpendicular to the push-pull plane you specify, where the result is two parts with no undercuts.

This is useful for designing parts that need to be injection moulded.

Let me know if that's confusing and I'll attach a diagram.

Ibrahim
Message 7 of 11
cekuhnen
in reply to: IbrahimAltiay

Yes I am still confused because I seem to only be able to split parting line along the x y z axis planes ??? So I guess I must do something wrong here!

Claas Kuhnen

Message 8 of 11
IbrahimAltiay

Check out this thread, there is a video half the way down the page detailing how to use the tool.

It doesn't always work, I remodeled my part today and it worked but didn't cut the part where I expected so I still opt to splitting my parts manually.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/sketching-sculpting-modeling-and/need-help-on-parting-line-tool/td-p/4...

Ibrahim
Message 9 of 11
cekuhnen
in reply to: IbrahimAltiay

I am such an idiot hahaha - I missunderstood the tool as the draft tool in Alias where you can split a surface and draft into the model perpendicular along the surface. wo wo wo ....

Because it uses the term parting line I made that assumption. Maybe the tool should be better called darft split because that seems to be what it does?

Claas Kuhnen

Message 10 of 11
Oceanconcepts

Hi Claas, sorry I missed your post earlier. But it sounds as if you have it sorted. I think the parting line terminology is good, because it is generally understood in the mold making world. But you are correct in your description, and there are many reasons why this could be useful outside making molded parts.  My issue with the tool was that I wanted to find the line, not necessarily to split the body along the line, or at least not entirely. 

- Ron

Message 11 of 11
cekuhnen

Yep I think for mold makers it then makes sense - for me coming from Alias it was first confusing. However I see also what you want, just like project the parting line right onto the surface.

Claas Kuhnen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report