Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is fusion 360 free indefinitely if your a hobbyist

73 REPLIES 73
Message 1 of 74
bgolash
186373 Views, 73 Replies

Is fusion 360 free indefinitely if your a hobbyist

Hi

I am thinking about using fusion for my cabinet shop. I like the program and would invest

my time designing seed cabinets for my upcoming jobs. But I wonder how long Fusion will be

free. At the moment even if you had to purhase a subscription its very affordable. But again

there is nothing keeping Autodesk from increasing the price to levels too high for a startup.

If it was not indefinite for a small business and a subscription cost $1000.00 a year it would be too high.

12 years of use equals $12000. My take on CAD software is usually if a version was never updated

it would have enough functionalty for 99% of the user base.

Barry

73 REPLIES 73
Message 21 of 74
lichtzeichenanlage
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous: I'm not a lawyer and can not give any advise. My understanding ist, that the english license text is less precise than the German one. The German one defines it by "$100k annual sales". Not sure if this is because of translation or different conditions in different countries.The best way to get an answer might be to contact Autodesk support

Message 22 of 74
Anonymous
in reply to: lichtzeichenanlage

@Anonymous: Congratulation if you reach either definition of 100k with your use of Fusion :c)

At that point, a regular "subscription" fee might not be a real showstopper anymore, I'd hope.

I highly doubt that anyone at Autodesk would "hunt down" users legally because they are 100 Euros (or US$) over that limit. It is more likely a "guidance" limit, and as a successful CEO of your company making over or close to 100k with regular usage of Fusion you are likely already interested yourself in putting everything on "sound legal footing" and would just subscribe... If you would continue to use it "for free" while at the same time becoming really successful (and hence likely also more known around the community), you would possibly one day become a "nice letter" from anyone politely reminding you of the conditions and asking you to reconsider your situation.

If you would be a Google-like player or known millionaire giving a £%$^ and just making a lot of money using Fusion, you would like face a law suit right away :c)

In short, don't make a problem where there really is none and enjoy (like I do) the generosity of Autodesk and the community to both have a great hobby and/or learn to use the tool to build a successful business. IF you have a successful business, consider "paying back" the favor by being a honest person and subscribe.

Message 23 of 74
dieselguy65

at the price of fusion, compared to others, does it really matter if the $100k is revenue or profit?

its a bargain, paying even if you are just a hobbyist.

Message 24 of 74
Anonymous
in reply to: brianrepp

Regarding whether you qualify as a hobbyist or not ...

I do work for a company that is interested in me learning Fusion 360. I'm guessing the 30 day free trial will be too short to be of any use to my company. Is using it at home for learning only, and not for commercial use qualify? After I start feeling comfortable. of course we would subscribe.

Thanks

Colby

Message 25 of 74
brianrepp

Hi @Anonymous - I have no issue with this.  If you run into any snags, be sure to ask here on the forums - it's a great community, with tons of experts, along with active Autodesk participation.

Message 26 of 74
Anonymous

Thank you!

Message 27 of 74
Anonymous

Is it still possible to extend the free licence for another year once the first year is over?

Message 28 of 74
brianrepp

Hi @Anonymous - currently if you still meet the qualifications necessary to be considered a startup/hobbyist, yes you can renew your subscription for another year!

Message 29 of 74
Anonymous

If your have a difference in revenue and profit (paying yourself per hour because theres no materials cost with this program) I'd argue you're running a business, not a hobby. Your business could pay you $200k for your design work in a year, but still only make $10k profit. In the example I gave, the business should be paying for the professional license.

Message 30 of 74
brandon5569

I'm a student UC Denver and I have been using the student version for some time now. I would like to start doing some freelance CAD work.  Can I use under $100K licenses for that?  and if so how can I switch to that licenses from the student license?

Thanks,

Brandon

Message 31 of 74
Anonymous

Thanks Brian,

Just read a few of your replies and you answered all my questions. I've done a fair bit of research on the net and Fusion 360 is the only winner, as I'm 60 now I only want to learn one cad program looks like it's Fusion 360.

(do I get a free cap now Smiley Happy )  

Ted.

Message 32 of 74
brianrepp
in reply to: brandon5569

@brandon5569 - I'd suggest making a post on our Support forum (HERE) letting them know that you're currently a student but would like to change your account over to a hobbyist.  They should be able to help get that taken care of for you.

@Anonymous - awesome, I love it!

Message 33 of 74
jduvivier
in reply to: bgolash

In regard to removal of previously installed Mac OS version.  I subscribed for free 30 day trial but did not see, or missed the small business/hobbyist option.  I am a retired designer and continue to work on small projects for my own use and it is clear to me that fusion 360 would support my needs very well.  The question is what do I do if my 30 day trial has terminated and after reading the series of communications here it is clear you still offer the hobbyist free access.  Your help on how to proceed would be appreciated.

John D

Message 34 of 74
brianrepp
in reply to: jduvivier

Hi @jduvivier - absolutely!  Please take a look at a Knowledge Article that should be of help HERE

Message 35 of 74
Anonymous

Is Fusion 360 no longer free for hobbyists?  I just got an email telling me I need to subscribe and it links to terms that now say that the non-commercial and startup versions are limited to 1 year.  If so that pretty much ends my use of fusion.

Message 36 of 74
TrippyLighting

The startup license has to be renewed each year as far as I understand.

EESignature

Message 37 of 74
brianrepp

Peter is correct in that our licensing has to be renewed each year.  As long as the hobbyist license is still around, and as long as you still qualify per the terms, you can renew at the end of your term.  Hope that clears things up?

Message 38 of 74
Anonymous

Thanks, when I checked in the app it was obvious.  I says there you can renew as long as you need it.  I just got scared by the other page.

Message 39 of 74
lichtzeichenanlage

The one year limit with renewal was (always) part of the free subscription.
I can understand why it is like this and I think it's fair.
Message 40 of 74
Anonymous
in reply to: bgolash

I singed up to Fusion 360 this week as a hobbyist.  It shows a countdown for 30 days.  Will this be renewable as a hobbyist or will my subscription (free) expire?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report