Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is fusion 360 free indefinitely if your a hobbyist

73 REPLIES 73
Message 1 of 74
bgolash
185919 Views, 73 Replies

Is fusion 360 free indefinitely if your a hobbyist

Hi

I am thinking about using fusion for my cabinet shop. I like the program and would invest

my time designing seed cabinets for my upcoming jobs. But I wonder how long Fusion will be

free. At the moment even if you had to purhase a subscription its very affordable. But again

there is nothing keeping Autodesk from increasing the price to levels too high for a startup.

If it was not indefinite for a small business and a subscription cost $1000.00 a year it would be too high.

12 years of use equals $12000. My take on CAD software is usually if a version was never updated

it would have enough functionalty for 99% of the user base.

Barry

73 REPLIES 73
Message 61 of 74
lichtzeichenanlage
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

So as a hobbyist, I'm finding a steep learning curve on most cad tools.  So it is a commitment on my part to learn a tool.  What I'm reading here is that Autodesk is only willing to commit to one year at a time, unless I am a student.  So a guy that will for sure be a pro can use Fusion 360 for 3 years, but someone that is not a pro must invest his time at the risk of having the software become unavailable after a year.

I got mine in 2018 and it runs until 2020. That's more than a year. Right now AD always gets prolonged. Sure no guarantee . OnShape is good example for changing business models. But what you've learned here is not a wast of time. I think you'll be able to transfer parts of the knowledge to other products. 

Buying software is not a "infinity solution". Your hardware or operating system might change over the years and might not work with software you bought. So - you have to buy again.  

@Anonymous wrote: 

I can see removing update rights, or access to new library downloads...  But if you are telling me that I potentially loose use of the skills I have learned or loose use of my own files/designs, or worse must pay you a quarter of my gross income from unrelated work just to have access to my own work, that is asking too much.

Changing in business models do not happen over night. At least not for users. So I strongly think that you'll get a generous time to get your data. BTW: It's a good practice to download your designs in native (*.f3d) and standardized formats (like e.g. *.stp) anyway. It's called backup and archiving your work. Are you doing this? If yes I don't see your worries about loosing your work, if no you're running a risky behavior. 

@Anonymous wrote:

If I learn your tool, I am a potential pro down the road...  But if learning your tool carries with it grave risk, that down the road pro will be using a different product such as freecad.  If I learn Freecad now, I'm unlikely to have a desire for an Autodesk product down the road.

Comparing Freecad and Fusion 360 doesn't work out for me. Yes - both are CAD systems but the way they work and the available functions are pretty ... different. If you're thinking they're the same, you're using a fraction of the potential of Fusion 360. 

@Anonymous wrote:

I would rather Autodesk come up with a price for the hobby version.  I am willing to pay, as long as I know up front how much it will cost and how long I can use the files I generate.  I'm not against paying, I'm against taking a risk with my time and designs.

I strongly hope that Fusion 360 will not follow this suggestion, because I think it's great that it's great what they're doing right now. Lot of users are using such tools not often or just don't have the money to buy lots of different software packages. And the strongest argument for me is: People can try tools without buying licenses. And for many people a 30 day trail period is not enough because of time constrains. So Autodesk: Keep on what you're doing. 

BTW - What would a fair price for you?

@Anonymous wrote:

I live in the Austin area, and there are horror stories around here of people being burned by Autodesk a few decades back, Autodesk burned bridges with people helping them sell product, so the lack of commitment and the software license that expires on an annual basis is a deal breaker.

I guess AD can live with one hobbyist more or less. And if you've followed the ADs statements regarding hobbyist over the last year ... they do commit to us. Just not in the way you want it. 

@Anonymous wrote:

I am 20 days away from having to give up another product I was originally told was free...  I've only partially utilized it for what I need, and now suddenly it is going away when I told it was supposed to last as long as I was in the free tier.  In the case of the other product, I was offered purchases along the way, and all of that money is lost as soon as the underlying service goes away.  It is great that Autodesk gives you a warning up front that you only get a year, but I'm not making an investment in *anything* that threatens to potentially destroy my creativity design at the whim of someone that might decide to squeeze me for money later...  Give me the option to pay a fair price now for something I can keep using.  If you must charge renewal fees, give me a commitment on what those fees will be... like $X00 now and 20% of the original price every year after X years...  

I don't mind paying, but I don't want my creations held hostage later.

Not sure in what business area you've worked. But I'm not aware of any areas that gives you that guarantee for  a) a single license and b) over a long time. BTW: AD delivers continuously new features and not like traditional vendors once a year. So just because of you they should not only change the business model but also the development strategy? Big call.

Message 62 of 74
Anonymous
in reply to: brianrepp

I'm also a hobbiest and working in Z scale trains 1:220 which there are not to many Things done in Z scale. I was using an old 3DMax8 program that has seem to guit working. I have had it since 2003 and used it off an on since. I don't have a business and make stuff in Z scale. I enjoyed the 3DMax8 because it was easy to use. Not that I can't draw using it and tried to get a license but no go! So I was thinking of trying this out! I 66yr out and don't plan on going back to school and living off retirement! so I hope I could get a free hobbyist issue! thanks! attachment are done with 3Dmax8 with SP1,SP2,SP3, and realdraw 2007 added to max8

Message 63 of 74
Anonymous
in reply to: lichtzeichenanlage

I agree with what you said! I bought a disk back in 2003 It said final release version one CD of 3D Max 8! I ordered it on line at that time and used it for years and just recently I had problems using it and contacted Autodesk and they told me the  License wasn't good so I had to stop using it. I'm not a professional Designer or Have a Business I use the program for my hobby in trains in the scale of 1:220 I have posted on her seversl time and was told the 3Dmax 8 will not work with windows 10 But I have been using it with windows 10. I had only few problems. But not I can get a license for it unless I put out the $3000.00 dollars or pay $150.00 a month! SO I'm retired, just from the US Navy, no other job! So I don't have th extra money comming in to support paying the cost drawing hive me a stree releaf because I enjoy drawing! I have recently got in to 3D printing and also enjoy get things I can't find! So now I'm stuck, a big wall. And all I want is to be able to use and draw on my own with out others have part oin my drawing!!!

Message 64 of 74
TrippyLighting

@Anonymous If you are used to mesh modeling in 3DS Max then my recommendation would be to use Blender.  On its own Blender is easily as powerful as Fusion 360. If you combine workflows in both for you'll have an incredibly powerful set of tools at your disposal.

EESignature

Message 65 of 74
Anonymous

I think You have a point here. Looking back we can see the same tactics to gain user base and then profit on this. The responses here are from Autodesk's employees and we all know who makes the final decisions. Do You remember this:

There are no announced plans to end maintenance subscriptions.

Matt DiMichele, August 2015, Autodesk Community Perpetual License Changes forum "

"

I assure you we have no plan to discontinue maintenance subscription plans for existing perpetual license owners.

Andrew Anagnost, September 2015, Cadalyst interview with Robert Green"

Do You remember Onshape? What about "free" DraftSight? Did You read this - https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/230270

What about SketchUP "free" - https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/230270

There is a reason to have a "free" subscription only for a year to renew! There is a reason to have your files on the cloud - the data is all ! What's more, besides You can save your files in different formats You loose the main benefit of Fusion 360 - design intend and parametric! Lets see in 5 years again!

Message 66 of 74
Anonymous
in reply to: bgolash

yes i am a hobbyist. i just bought a 3d printer and i like to play around on it

Message 67 of 74
Anonymous

Hi, " As long as we continue to offer this benefit, you will be able to continue to extend your subscription!" 

Today is year 2020. Is this information still correct?

Regards

PS. I am senior and hobbyist.

Message 68 of 74
TrippyLighting

Yessir!

EESignature

Message 69 of 74
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

TrippyLighting, "Yes Sir!" I sorry for the answer for that foolness.
Message 70 of 74
TrippyLighting

What foolishness?

EESignature

Message 71 of 74
Anonymous

Recent events have shown that this was a complete lie. 

Message 72 of 74
Anonymous

Yes, I know.. the (i) has a clause in it..Yes, I know.. the (i) has a clause in it..

These packages that got their start with input, feedback and such from the broad community... and then slam that door shut. Sucks.

I need to find someone/way to export some stuff.. at least ya'll kept .step, you were gonna yank that, too, with this move. The Maker Scene is pretty much embedded with .step, .dxf, .dwg... 

Sigh.. KiCad .. and find something for laser cutting..

Tags (3)
Message 73 of 74
Anonymous

My trial period as a hobbyist ended, but I cannot find any way to extend the trial period.  Has the policy changed?

Message 74 of 74
g-andresen

Hi,

The trial period cannot be extended.

At the end you will be automatically asked to choose a license model.

günther

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report