Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't understand - copy a group of objects in Sketch

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
bkmtech
1588 Views, 22 Replies

I don't understand - copy a group of objects in Sketch

I don't know how any of you can work this way.

I literally feel so overwhelmed by the simplest of tasks.

This isn't a joke.

All I want to do is copy a group of objects in Sketch.

And if this involves more than 2 simple steps I will stop using Fusion.

[Post title modified for clarity - by moderator]

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
bkmtech
in reply to: bkmtech

I don't pay for software so I can get angry using it.

Message 3 of 23
bkmtech

It says move / copy but there is no ability to copy.

If I do not get a response within 15 minutes I cannot guarantee my posts will remain profanity free.

Message 4 of 23
cyucelEJ2QP

Fusion is not the easiest design software however it offers endless possibilities. If you would like to do just a one-off design and print something it maybe a better idea to use something more simplistic, e.g. Tinkercad. If you see this as a long-term hobby, career then the time you spend to understand F360 concepts will be rewarded.

It is almost impossible to install to software and start designing, I went through 20-30 YouTube videos / trainings before I managed to put together something sensible, and still I occasionally struggle and either search up or ask here.

Good luck

Message 5 of 23
bkmtech
in reply to: cyucelEJ2QP

I fully expected your reply.

I hate to say it but it is quite typical.

You're right, some of us just are not smart enough to use fusion.

And you don't even have an answer as to how to accomplish the task.

Again, typical.

Message 6 of 23
cyucelEJ2QP

Copy works if it is allowed for the given context, if not it copy checkbox can be hidden, or greyed out as in the attached screenshot. Might be easier to help if you can share the issue screenshot or similar.

Message 7 of 23
bkmtech

This is insane.

I need to go back to the kiddie stuff.

Message 8 of 23
bkmtech

You create a copy, then what?

Do you see a paste option anywhere?

Message 9 of 23
cyucelEJ2QP

It works slightly differently.

Try moving something first (using the arrows that appear on the object). If copy is allowed and you tick Copy checkbox, then the same arrows move a copy of the object away leaving the original behind. Example attached.

Message 10 of 23
bkmtech

Thanks for nothing.

This is how forums work, you figure out on your own while passing meaningless messages.

And the training never covers it.

Very nice.

In unconstrained mode it is imperative I specify exactly how much I want the copy displaced.

That makes sense.

Message 11 of 23
bkmtech

Do you realize the training on sketch, where most people start, is thoroughly inadequate?

Message 12 of 23
TrippyLighting

If you ask narrow question, then you'll get narrow answers.

I very rarely have the need to copy anything in a sketch.

If you can share what you want to design, perhaps there are better ways to do that than copying sketch objects.

Also, if you get easily frustrated, then working with complex software in general and CAD software in particular is not going to help your mental health. I've worked with CAD and 3D computer graphics software for 30 year s and still get frustrated sometimes 😉

EESignature

Message 13 of 23

@bkmtech wrote:

________  off

Please familiarize yourself with the forum rules inked here for your convenience!

EESignature

Message 14 of 23
davebYYPCU
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Window select that group of sketch articles, 

Press Control and C

Create or open the destination sketch, same sketch? Ignore this step,

Press Control and V

Move the triad to the required location before

Press Enter.

Bonus, to place many groups, 

Just keep doing the Control V parts.

Might help....

Message 15 of 23
jeff_strater

there are two ways to copy sketch geometry.

1. Use the Move command.  Select the geometry, choose Move, click the "create copy" checkbox, specify the new position, either by dragging or by typing
  2. Select the geometry, right click, choose Copy, de-select the geometry, right click, choose Paste, specify the position of the copy.  Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V are shortcuts, as they are in most applications.  (Cmd-C/Cmd-V on Mac)

And, please be professional here.  This is not Twitter.

screencast:

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 16 of 23
bkmtech
in reply to: jeff_strater

Hello

There are 2 problems here.

And it is not my language or my attitude.

The first is the training on Sketch is inadequate, which is where most people start.

I watched the training on Sketch, it really did not help me.

Second, when I have a problem and I get a response back telling me I should try something simpler, that is an inappropriate response.

I often work at night, I am almost completely self-taught, and it is very hard to grasp the actions performed or necessitated by some downstream parameter you may not even need to consider.

Here is a question:   Exactly what are sketch points?

Why do they always appear when there is an arc?

If you can hide them, what real purpose do they serve?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a FIXED vs ADAPTIVE grid?

Here is another problem.

If you want SNAP to GRID and place a line, it snaps to the grid fine.

Place a line with an origin on that line, it no longer snaps to grid.   Why?

Why would anybody want it to operate that way?

I get halfway through my sketch and I have all these lines off grid.   It may or may not matter, that isn't the point.

I don't want to sit on my own and try to figure out whether I have done something wrong or whether it matters.

If you select a group of objects and right-click, what immediately pops up in the circular menu, MOVE/COPY, but further down in the menu is another COPY.   The operations are not really the same, however.

This is just a complete failure of the training to cover the UI.

Figuratively speaking, I don't want to run down the street, bug my neighbor, and hope he is home.   And also have to worry whether I have disturbed his serenity.

Which is exactly what these forums feel like.

As I said, the training on SKETCH sketch is thoroughly inadequate. probably an assumed knowledge they don't really feel a need to cover.

Here is a UI problem.

Say for example you highlight the toolbar area "CREATE".

If you click in the upper half of the highlighted area the action of the pop-up menu is very unpredictable.

If you click in the lower half of the highlighted area it pops up and stays up.

Let me explain something

Why am I even using FUSION.

Because I struggled for years to get proficient with Eagle.   Now you can't get Eagle without buying FUSION.

I thought I would give it a try.

If I have to struggle with this, I am going to vent here.

I don't want to climb Mount Everest so I can look down on everybody who hasn't made the trip.

Message 17 of 23
davebYYPCU

So some feedback would be nice, you have 2 versions of the same solution, and no reply to even say it sorted that question.

Appears you like biting the hand that feeds you.

For the questions I feel like answering;

Dont use a grid, no value, and clutter.  You say inconsistent behaviour so don’t use it.

Sketch points, designate where Centre points, end points are.

Might help....

Message 18 of 23
TrippyLighting

@bkmtech wrote:

There are 2 problems here.

And it is not my language or my attitude.

Your language doesn't bother me. Your attitude on the other hand does!

The sole purpose of this forum is to get help. That help comes almost exclusively from volunteers who enjoy helping other people. People who have decided to take a trip down the mountain and reach out  to help others on the sometimes twisted and rugged path up the mountain. 

Here's the thing: This isn't Everest!

Here's another thing: There are other much taller mountains!

I am also entirely self taught! When I started with CAD in University over 30 years ago, it was against the advise of one of my engineering instructors who thought it was a waste of time! I learned how to design on a drawing bord with pencil and paper during my apprenticeship as a industrial mechanic prior to college. In my first job after college I did not use CAD for the first 2 years. Drawings were done on a large drawing board in paper/pencil and ink!

The Internet did not exist, there were no forums to ask people. Most of those rare books were written in a language that was foreign to me at the time . That doesn't only pertain to CAD but to the entirety of the dawn of the computer age.

There are a number for folks here who want to help you including myself. So stop ranting and venting as it doesn't serve any purpose. Unless, of course you really don't want any help...

Now let's get on with the instructions.

It is good to know that you have worked with Eagle before. Eagles sketch paradigm an also the purpose of sketching in Eagle is somewhat different from a parametric 3D CAD sytsem.

In Eagle you NEED a grid. But eagle's sketch tools are ancient!

In Fusion 360 turn the grid off! Completely! You don't need it!

All you need is sketch objects (Lines, Arcs, Splines), constraints and dimensions. 

In 3D CAD a Sketch has one purpose! Create (very) basic geometry to be refined with 3D features.

That is the reason there might be no need to use move/copy in a sketch.

Often move/copy is used to create a pattern. Don't! Avoid patterns in sketches. 

As a general guideline (not a hard rule. That applies to everything in this post) everything that can be modeled with a Solid/Surface feature should not be in a sketch. 

Fillets and chamfers are usually best NOT modeled in a sketch.

Mirroring a couple of items in a sketch can be helpful, but generally it is better to mirror 3D geometry.

Most patterns are better done with soli/surface features rather than in a sketch.

EESignature

Message 19 of 23
bkmtech
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I think that the general idea is just to avoid all the issues instead of learning about them.

Don't try to be precise because you can always do more downstream even though I really don't need to proceed downstream myself.

I paid for a month, I can figure out enough to hand this off to somebody else if necessary.

Thanks

Message 20 of 23
CGBenner

@bkmtech 

I understand that learning new software can be frustrating, but please understand that this is a user forum.  It is primarily visited by other users like you who are volunteering their time, when they have it, to help others.  Sometimes it takes a while to get a response, but usually, those responses are good.  And, just a side note, profanity will not be allowed.  Good luck!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report