Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to scale only one face?

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
Anonymous
3189 Views, 35 Replies

How to scale only one face?

Hello! I am very new to Fusion, and have a question about scaling faces. It would be nice if the fillet tool could take two radii so that the fillet could be ellipse shaped. So I'm trying to get around that limitation.

What I'm doing is scaling the object in one axis, and then I want to scale the center face smaller. You can see in this diagram. The outer object is there for reference. The inner object is the one I'm trying to change. If I could scale the blue face smaller, I could get the effect I want. But whenever I try to scale the face, the whole object gets selected and scaled instead.

center face.png

The effect I'm going for is that of a shallow depression that isn't steep. I want the curve to extend further into the object. If I could just scale the selected face smaller, that would fix my problems. I know I have somewhat fixed my problem already by scaling my whole object in one direction. But it isn't enough. The blue object needs to be the same size and dimensions as the enclosing object, disregarding the fillet:

whole thing.png

Thanks for any help, I've been struggling with this for a long time.

Edit: I realize that I could fix my problem by increasing the radius of the outer corners of the box. But I don't what those corners to change.

Henning

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 3 of 36
Anonymous

Here is the file. Sorry - I should have thought of attaching it.

Message 4 of 36
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:
I am very new to Fusion...

Sketch1 is not fully defined.  Blue lines should keep you awake at night.

There is no need to repeat dimensions - use Equal (=) constraints.

Model with obvious symmetry about the Origin, not just anywhere in space.

Fillets should (almost) always be modeled as Placed Features rather than Sketch elements.

Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of these things mean. How do I fix them, and how does fixing them solve my problem?

Edit: I watched a video tutorial and have full defined my sketch. I have also placed my objects perfectly around the origin. This fixes some issues, but I don't know how this will solve my problem.

Edit 2: I have also removed some duplicated dimensions, and added some = constraints. I thought that this might fix my problem, because you suggested fixing this, so I tried to make an extrusion from my sketch, but that doesn't work anymore. I can no longer extrude the sketch. I've attached my new file. "can not extrude new sketch.f3d"

Edit 3: I figured out why I couldn't extrude. The container of the sketch wasn't visible. Stupid mistake. So I extruded the fully defined sketch, and tried to scale the face, but it didn't work.

Message 6 of 36
g-andresen

Hi,

Is that what you want to achieve in the end?

cut out elliptical.png

günther

Message 7 of 36
Anonymous

No, not really. I am actually going to use this part to cut a bowl out of a cube. And I want the bowl to have a flat bottom with a gradual slope up to the edge. The problem is that I can't make the slope gradual. Here's a drawing:

angle.jpg

The part within the dashes is this part that I'm making now.

Message 8 of 36
g-andresen

Hi,

You can create the profile according to your own ideas and cut it out of the body with the sweep tool.

Screencast

günther

Message 9 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

Ah, ok, understand better now. That looks very promising. What do I do if I want to start with a box I've already created (it has other features already)? I have the box, I have the rectangular cavity. Now I need to add that little profile curve and sweep it around.

Message 10 of 36
g-andresen

Hi,

Check again in the screencast how I created an offset in the first sketch.

You can also project the box profile into a new sketch as a basis and then create the offset.

günther

Message 11 of 36
Anonymous

Thanks for attaching the file, but your design still contains the problem that I'm trying to solve. Each of the corners has the same radius in xy plane as it does in the xz and yz planes.

Message 12 of 36
g-andresen

Hi,

What's stopping you from changing that. I have only used your base.
If possible, you should always create fillets on the solid (not in sketch!), e.g. by sweeping.

Günther

Message 13 of 36
Anonymous

Edit: I'm sorry, I just don't understand what you're doing in the screencast.

Original: Ok, I cannot edit the example file you gave me. I tried to change the shape of the paths to no avail. So I'm just trying to create my own path like this, and I get a boolean error. This is just to test trying to get a sweep to work. I have not been able to get the sweep to work through the corner.

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.08.04 PM.png

Message 14 of 36
Anonymous

The closest I've gotten is this. I create a sketch of a square. Then I extrude it. Then I add a path to one of the faces:

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.27.42 PM.png

Then I sweep it around the path:

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.28.00 PM.png

So far so good. But this is where things go bad. I edit the original sketch of the square to start adding rounded corners. That doesn't work. Here I added one rounded corner to the sketch. It didn't work. Changing all four doesn't work either.

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 4.28.43 PM.png

Message 15 of 36
g-andresen

Hi,

The profile has to be perpendicular to the path!
Look at the position of the sketches in the attached file. > “sweep profile”

Günther

Message 16 of 36
Anonymous

It is perpendicular. The profile is in ZY and the path is in XY.
Message 17 of 36
davebYYPCU

Profile of the floor can be a filleted rectangle, and still be accommodated.

fltrctflr.PNG

Might help.....

Message 18 of 36
Anonymous

Okay, I'll take a look, thanks.

Message 19 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Do you have any guidance on how to create this? I'm looking at this and don't know how you did it.
Message 20 of 36
g-andresen

Hi,

@Anonymous  schrieb:
…. I'm looking at this and don't know how you did it.

follow the timeline and analyze  the features

günther

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report