Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to make teeth on a surface?

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
chandosb90
1494 Views, 25 Replies

how to make teeth on a surface?

PXL_20240309_013214932.jpg

im trying to make this part and i cant figure out how to make the teeth/splines. someone please help, im a new fusion user and havent done cad in years.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
jhackney1972
in reply to: chandosb90

From the picture it is hard to tell if the teeth are straight or have a radial taper, so I will guess and use a radial taper.  Also do not know any sizes or tooth count.  There also are other ways to make the teeth, I chose a Loft.  Model attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 26
Drewpan

Hi,

The easiest way to do this will be to make a sketch on the vertical plane the size of the teeth you want. Extrude the

resulting single tooth, then create a circular pattern of the number of teeth you want. You will have to select either

features or make the extrusion a new body and then combine the created bodies afterward.

Cheers

Andrew

Message 4 of 26
chandosb90
in reply to: jhackney1972

teeth are angled, there are 70 teeth, and their height is .03" length from edge is .15

Message 5 of 26
jhackney1972

There still is a lot of missing information so I will let you follow my method, if it suits, and use your dimensions.  Let me know if you need help on your model.  If you do, do not forget to attach your attempt. 

If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 6 of 26
chandosb90

part dia. 1.5"
overall height .25"
teeth height .03"
tooth length from edge .15"
center hole dia .25"

Message 7 of 26
chandosb90

i couldn't really decipher what was happening exactly on the timeline, but this is what i have so far.

Message 8 of 26
laughingcreek

if you want the teeth from one disc to be able to fully mesh with a second one when placed together, then you have to insure that the peak of the teeth are slopping down, the valley is sloping up, and the faces of the teeth are planer and not twisted/warped.

laughingcreek_0-1709957644105.png

attached is an example.

Message 9 of 26
jhackney1972

Attached you will find your defined model.  The process I used is rather length and I am sure others may have a better method and shorter method.  If you need explanation on how I created your model, let me know "personally".

John Hackney
Retired

Message 10 of 26
jhackney1972

I never heard a peep from you after posting your finished model.  Did it suit your needs?  Do you have questions about it?  A little feedback would be nice.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 11 of 26

In sketch 1 the angle dimension is 360/number of teeth. Where do you enter the number of teeth?

Message 12 of 26

It is a parameter.

It is a Parameter.jpg

John Hackney
Retired

Message 13 of 26
chandosb90

hey sorry been busy with work and life. your post really did help for the most part, i got it completed and took it to the guy that was going to cut it on his cnc machine for me but theres a few problems. ill attach the file so you can check it out. 1st problem is he can only cut either 60 degree angle teeth or 90 degree, mine came out to 53 degrees, second problem is at the inside end of the teeth in my design the teeth have a slight overlap and im not sure what to do to remedy this.

Message 14 of 26

I've never used them. How/where do you get into parameters?

Message 15 of 26

If you have a Timeline, in other words Capture Design History, you use them all the time.  Every value you enter, offset distance, dimension value, pattern count, etc is captured as a Model Parameter and can be seen by feature in the Parameter dialog box.  You can create your own parameters, called User Parameters, and use them instead of, or along with, model parameters to control your model.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 16 of 26
jhackney1972

If you have to change the tooth angle, then the whole design must be revisited.  If the diameter is maintained, the number of teeth will change.  If the number of teeth stay the same then the diameter will change.  Of course the general height of the teeth could be different and maybe maintain the count.  Lots of variables

John Hackney
Retired

Message 17 of 26
chandosb90

the height, width, and number of teeth can change. i just need to know how to do it so its 100% correct so the guy can cut the part for me.

Message 18 of 26
jhackney1972

So what are your new design specifications?  Obviously I cannot read your mind, please post them.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 19 of 26
chandosb90

i dont really have any new specific spec, the only "spec" that has to be corrected is the angle of the valley of the teeth has to be 90 degrees, the number, height and width of the teeth can change in anyway to make it work. this is completely out of my wheelhouse of things i know how to do well. im an auto mechanic, i dont run cad programs ever. the cnc guy that is willing to cut this part for me just cant justify spending the time drawing the design, so i told him i would figure out how to draw it myself. ive got it mostly figured i just cant get the teeth right to meet the angle hes able to cut the teeth at.

Message 20 of 26
jhackney1972

According to your design requirements the teeth taper to the center of the gear.  Since this is the case, the angle you mention varies along the length of the teeth.  I will have to pass on this as I if I try to model what you want, I am sure you will reject it and I will send a lot of time for nothing.  Good Luck.

John Hackney
Retired

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report