Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add sliding and rotating joints between pistons and cyliders?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jomckissoc
105 Views, 4 Replies

How to add sliding and rotating joints between pistons and cyliders?

Hi, teaching myself Fusion and I ran into this issue. Building an air engine that has a set of pistons that both slide and rotate between two cylinders that are mounted at a 90 degree angle to each other. I'm stumped on how to join the piston to the cylinders so that when one cylinder rotates, the pistons slide and drive the other cylinder. I'd appreciate your help. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jhackney1972
in reply to: jomckissoc

I will send your model along in a minute but in a nutshell, you should not use a Slider joint for the piston to the cylinder.  You are forgetting that the Piston and Cylinder not only slide within each other but they ROTATE also.  You should be using a Cylindrical Joint instead of a slider.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 5
jhackney1972

I broke the links between your fasteners and the Model so I could send the file back to you as a F3D file.  DO NOT USE this file to continue.  Video will explain the post I gave earlier.  Model attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 4 of 5
jhackney1972

I placed all the pistons in place and added a name to the Joint to drive the assembly (Drive Me) and exported the model.  Again, do not use this one as all of the fasteners have been broken from their link.  It is just for demo.  Model attached.

Please do not forget to select the "Accept Solution" icon on one of my post if this solves your issue.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 5
jomckissoc
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thank you so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report