Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: Could not print STL File -- Collision Problems..?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mallerya
466 Views, 6 Replies

Help: Could not print STL File -- Collision Problems..?

Hello everyone. I am new to fusion 360. I designed a mount for a small DC motor and I'm trying to 3D print it on my campus. I was told he could not print out the T shaped object but the other one was fine. What could be causing the issue? Could it be related to the two objects colliding?

I had one cylinder object slightly protruding into the other, then combined the objects. One object is just a cylinder shape, while the other was an sketch I obtruded in order to get the d-shaft in diameter shape.

How could I make the back end of the d-shaft to sit more flush against the other cylinder object?

I have attached the project, the render STL file and an image. Please take a look. I appreciate any help 🙂

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
davebYYPCU
in reply to: mallerya

See if this helps, 

Step up the time line.

Do not use primitive bodies, they don't have sketches, you get more functionality from sketches.

19 move commands, not needed. 

Make everything in place and use the origin for symmetric parts.

you have 2 parts, so there is now 2 components.

Use the eyeballs to work out what's going on.

Might help....

Message 3 of 7
etfrench

That will be a difficult design to print well as is. Is there a reason the T shape is comprised of cylinders? You'll probably need to create custom supports for the interior of the D.

Would a square shape for the external profile work?  Either way, the T can be rotated 90 degrees which would give you a clean print of the D.  The hole at the base of the T could be drilled to obtain the correct fit.

p.s. It would print even better like this:

T.JPG

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
mallerya
in reply to: etfrench

The square profile may work but would be difficult to install for my application. I was planning on just drilling some holes along the side of a PVC pipe and inserting the two cylinders that way. This is why one cylinder has a hole that is slightly thicker than the other, which allows the second to be slotted in. It is more modular, so if I need to uninstall the pieces for later use I can still remove them from the pipe.

I was sent an email today by the printing guys at my campus saying the reason they could not print it is because the D-shaft cylinder was not flush with the floor. I was wondering about this myself. It had been merged with the cylinder object, but I could not get it to snap to the Z grid. I will try fixing this and see if it works out.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Regarding the other guy's comment, is there a way I can make a singular sketch while rotating on an axis? or would I just have to make two sketches on the different planes and merge them together as one object?

Message 5 of 7
davebYYPCU

In my file there are 4 sketches, one for each job, 

there are no short cuts, lots of small sketches, far better than one 3d sketch.

(not aligned with the floor, build where it has to be, Move command error)

Step up the time line and watch the replay with the file control button lower left of the Timeline.

Might help.....

Message 6 of 7
etfrench

Here's how I would do it:

tBar.JPG

Notes:

• It will need to be rotated 90 degrees in the slicer program to print.  It would have been better to model it with Sketch1 on the XY plane instead of the YZ plane.
  • The wall thickness where the cylinder slides into the T bar is really thin. 
  • You original model didn't have the D leg centered on the horizontal leg,  was this intentional?

p.s. @davebYYPCU  Your file wasn't attached.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
mallerya

I wanted to return to this post to close it. I figured out the solution, but I believe it was so long ago that I cannot absolutely confirm the validity of it.

Our schools use a makerbot printer and software. The makerbot software will complain if the model is not 100% flush to the base plate and not give a very explicit error. If I remember correctly, this model was not aligned to the Z-plane correctly which was causing the issue... a noob mistake on my part.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report