Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guitar design and manufacture using Fusion 360 and CNC

34 REPLIES 34
Message 1 of 35
jeff_strater
19240 Views, 34 Replies

Guitar design and manufacture using Fusion 360 and CNC

Hi Fusion community, (and especially guitar makers),

I wanted to let you know that I’ve been working on a cool project with our friends at CNC Router Parts.  As I said way back in October, in this thread, I had started on this project to design and produce a guitar body with Nathan Skalsky, who is part owner of CNC Router Parts.  Rather than my usual modeling projects, which just resulted in a Fusion model, I wanted to approach this with the idea of actually producing a real, physical, playable guitar.  Since then, we’ve been busy in design and implementation.  Since we both have day jobs, it’s taken us a while, but we are finally at a point where we can declare the project done.

In my past guitar making, I’ve always only done completely flat-slab type designs, because it was relatively easy to cut out the shape on a bandsaw from a flat chunk of wood.  But, I’ve always wanted to do a carved top guitar.  I realized that the combination of 3D design in Fusion + CNC for manufacturing would give me a powerful way to explore this type of design.  We are also working on a hollow-body version, which we think will further illustrate the power of CNC + 3D modeling.

We learned a lot.  We made a lot of mistakes along the way:  Everything from mis-measurements of the neck and bridge positions and height to tool path errors to simple human mis-communication of who was making which changes in which order.  We made lots of test runs using cheap wood, each of which revealed things we hadn’t thought of (for instance, that the mounting screws for the bridge can’t go into the control cavity!).  However, we are very happy with the results.  The Fusion model, I think, came out pretty cleanly.  It is fully parametric, and can withstand customization of the outside shape, the carved top shape, etc., and updates without errors.

Here is the model in Fusion:

guitar render 3.png

An early test run using glued-up cheap Home Depot pine:

test run.jpg

After milling:

after milling.jpg

The finished body:

finished body.jpg

And all assembled:

assembled.jpg

Interested in learning more about our workflow, or want to make your own 3D sculpted guitar with Fusion 360?  

Download our Fusion 360 design file from our Thingiverse: 3D Sculpted Electric Guitar project page

Watch our "Design & Make" Videos Walk-throughs:

I’m hoping to start a discussion here about guitar design and building using Fusion.  Feel free to ask any questions, make any comments, etc., and we’ll be happy to respond.

@jeff_strater & @nathan.skalsky

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
34 REPLIES 34
Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey Nicolai!

I don't think the model is accurate enough for a build as of yet, I've still to do a proper version with G code that would work
I allso noticed that some of the splines were off and thus making the whole thing off in proportions
Been a bit swamped with work lately so I haven't gotten 'round to make a new version =/

but hopefully I'll find some time in the days to come

With that said, I think you can find the 3d model if you do a search for PRS under Community/Gallery
or here: https://gallery.autodesk.com/fusion360/projects/92733/prs-type-guitar-body?searched=

Be warned! if you do download and open it...
...you'll see that it's a mess ,)

Cheers!
//Jens

Message 22 of 35
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

I just bought a small CNC machine and have been learning Fusion for about a month - but have not moved from modeling to cam portion yet - going to watch your videos and see what can be gleaned.  Been building guitars since about 2005 so most of the figures are in my head - just need to learn to use fusion to get my needs to g-code!  Many thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and adventures.  Been a tad frustrated because I have a machine but my skills are still not up to what's in my head - people have suggested I use Aspire or Rhino as apparently they're easy to learn - but I've already invested the time in Fusion and plan to stay with it until my machine no longer gathers dust.

Message 23 of 35
Anonymous

Watched your video - but it leaves out how the guy centered the guitar blueprint on the grid and how he used the callibration tool.  Everything in the video after that is unimportant without the first two things - centering and positioning.  How do you center the drawing on the grid?  After that I know how to use the Calibrate tool.

Message 24 of 35
Anonymous

NEVERMIND - Figured it out myself - how do you delete posts?

Message 25 of 35
rpalf

That is so much like what im trying at present, and yours looks brill. Can I ask did you use the Sculpt tools?

Ray

Message 26 of 35
Anonymous
in reply to: rpalf

I'm only just learning to use the sculpting tools - have a lot to learn.

Message 27 of 35
Anonymous

Made this guitar t-style guitar and pickguard with fusion and milled it (not the neck just the body).  The neck pocket is different from most t-style as my necks are a little wider.Screenshot (1).pngRiv2.jpgRiv3.jpgRiv4.jpg

Message 28 of 35
jeff_strater

that is beautiful.  I love the finish.  Nice job!

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 29 of 35
Anonymous

Many thanks Jeff!  The top is curly cherry.

Message 30 of 35
etfrench

That turned out very nice.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 31 of 35
Anonymous
in reply to: etfrench

Thank you sir!

Message 32 of 35
nathan.skalsky

Looks nice! Thanks for sharing it!

-Nathan

Message 33 of 35
Anonymous
in reply to: nathan.skalsky

Thank you very much sir!

Message 34 of 35
oldtbone55

That is a gorgeous finish! A real beauty!

Message 35 of 35
Anonymous
in reply to: oldtbone55

Many thanks sir 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report