Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU rendering

94 REPLIES 94
SOLVED
Message 1 of 95
Anonymous
108365 Views, 94 Replies

GPU rendering

Are there any plans in the pipeline to introduce GPU rendering rather than the current CPU rendering?

94 REPLIES 94
Message 21 of 95
TrippyLighting
in reply to: jroosberg

The cloud render engine employed by Fusion 360 is the Lagoa render engine, which was designed around being a cloud renderer engine. Fusion 360 release on DirectX (on Windows) for viewport rendering.

Both of these decisions were made to allow user that done;thave hah powered computers to perform CAD with integrated rendering.

On the other hand. GPU rendering really only makes sense when there is plenty of GPU power available.

I am assuming you are not using a paid subscription, because otherwise you'd know that you get a pretty good number of cloud credits certainly enough to satisfy the even relatively prolific render demands.

The very least you could have done is doing a little research before coming to this forum and hand out unwarranted criticism with your first post, which BTW is a superb way to introduce yourself to a new community.

EESignature

Message 22 of 95

@TrippyLighting wrote:

I am assuming you are not using a paid subscription, because otherwise you'd know that you get a pretty good number of cloud credits certainly enough to satisfy the even relatively prolific render demands.

Paid subscriptions have a limited number of credits you are given when you signup, 150 or 120, at 3 or 4 credits per render they go away pretty fast, I wouldn't say plenty, after that you have to buy credits.

Message 23 of 95
jroosberg
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I am not sure why you think I am 1) not informed or 2) not subscribed when I am both. Your arguments are fact based but obviously manufactured towards sidestepping. I do not care what cloud backend AD use. I have, as well as the very large portion of F360 users, a very well entertained GPU and CPU specification. Other than my Solidworks license and F360 I guess I am at a complete loss here, right?

”Both of these decisions were made to allow user that done;thave hah powered computers to perform CAD with integrated rendering.”  

Are you hired to do this?

Still has nothing to do with the option of computing with a gpu instead of having 100% CPU so you can’t do anything else.

You are making this so much worse. What part of my first critique is that bad? You are an innovator, a mentor and a long time CAD user. You have seen the, from my perspective, absolutely ridiculous trueOpenGL requirements, the nerfed drivers etc that is needed because money. You yourself are using blender for you rendering. Sure, keep telling others its due to material and lighting control but we know. Keep that gpu solder tight why don’t you. Hope you get to bully some noob in your next thread. Nice to meet you too! Upvoted! Thank you for your critique, I might have come off to a rough start and pointed someone’s eye. Sorry. I am sure someone else will help me should I have some questions on this forum, or maybe I will answer some on my own.

Message 24 of 95
jroosberg
in reply to: Pedro_Bidarra

Yes, and what does your answer have to do with above? I’m confused. I have
credits.
Message 25 of 95
Pedro_Bidarra

My answer has to do specifically with this comment: "I am assuming you are not using a paid subscription, because otherwise you'd know that you get a pretty good number of cloud credits certainly enough to satisfy the even relatively prolific render demands."
Message 26 of 95
TrippyLighting

I am not sidestepping nor am I hired by Autodesk.

I simply disagree with your conspiracy theories!

Even your assessment of OpenGL requirements are ridiculous. Again the only thing that comes you your mind is that there is someone out there that only and unjustifiably wants your money. Conspiracy theories.

I have not used the Blender render engine in years and I don't use the Indigo Render engine to generally render Fusion 360 designs but to do lighting analysis (of sorts).  I've used Indigo since way before Fusion 360 was released. So in essence, NO, you don't know!

@Pedro_Bidarra I had assumed that subscribed users do receive more cloud credits. I have an early adopter license and that goes along with more cloud credits. Given the recent increase of the subscription price there should be more cloud credits particularly considering how overly expensive generative engine is.

EESignature

Message 27 of 95
jroosberg

Sometimes I surprise myself with my stupidity. Sorry I missed the @. Will edit/delete my response. Yeah my first render on the cloud would use 50%+ credits for the turntable option on final for client presenation. I am not saying that it’s much but it’s sure a lot more than local. About 70 euros.

Message 28 of 95

Yes I would like more cloud credits too for subscriptions, I haven't tested any generative design because I could never justify the expense.
Message 29 of 95
jroosberg
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Great! You don’t agree. You are talking about conspiracies, I am merely stating the monetary value of not supporting the 300w GPUs people are having. The driver “conspiracy” is documented and acknowledged even. Just read your profile and you are right. I don’t know what you are using blender for. I can use keyshot or blender, its just that I would rather have it in F360 because I really like the program. It sure is nice, isn’t it? Cheers!

Message 30 of 95
marekH6NQ7
in reply to: colin.smith

It's been several years since the original post. Consumer-grade hardware has improved significantly, as has the accessibility of ad-hoc cloud computing resources. Are there plans to implement GPU rendering? Ideally, is there a feature roadmap we could track?

If there's no plans to implement GPU rendering, are there any plans to reduce the credit-cost for renders, or add an SDK to integrate rendering with 3rd party cloud providers? Local renders seem to take about 30-60 seconds per render credit on mid-grade consumer hardware, and one could easily buy similar hardware in the cloud for pennies per minute, so the fact that render credits cost a dollar each doesn't seem to add up.

Message 31 of 95
TrippyLighting
in reply to: marekH6NQ7

@marekH6NQ7 wrote:

... or add an SDK to integrate rendering with 3rd party cloud providers? ...

I asked that question years ago!

Based on that I would assume that Autodesk is unfortunately not interested.

EESignature

Message 32 of 95

It's a very unfortunate situation that the Rendering feature of Fusion hasn't kept up with the rest, there's a lot of potential for Fusion in other areas besides machine shops if the Visualization aspect is well taken care of. Having everything update when you make a change to the model is one of Fusion key strengths. 

Message 33 of 95
nigel76FS8

Given how impressive GPU rendering is now, Fusion really needs to look into upping their game.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvidia-marbles-at-night-is-the-most-impressive-real-time-ray-tracing-...

That's the latest nVidia demo, which is ray traced at 30fps at 1440p, featuring more motion and physics than even the largest CAD model. To be stuck using the CPU and "sending jobs off" is very old hat.

Message 34 of 95
bjorn39YVB
in reply to: nigel76FS8

Not to say ... flat out embarrasing.

Message 35 of 95
bjorn39YVB

Why is this marked as solved?
Mark it as "ignored".

Message 36 of 95
bjorn39YVB
in reply to: Anonymous

Autodesk: “GPUs are limited...”

Meantime at Nvidia: https://youtu.be/F0QwAhUnpr4

❤️ Check out Weights & Biases and sign up for a free demo here: https://www.wandb.com/papers ❤️ Their report about a previous paper is available here: ...
Message 37 of 95
Pedro_Bidarra

@bjorn39YVB Well, it's not that they think, as company, GPUs are limited, afterall they use them in Arnold. It's more like they aren't putting any resources into Rendering in Fusion, not even in making it easier to export and to live update into other applications.

Message 38 of 95
Anonymous

Just recently, I bought Fusion 360, because after years not working with 3D software (used to do cinema commercials in Studio Max 3D .. version 4.0 when I remember correctly) I kind of liked the parametric way of doing things.

So, I bought myself a nice new computer in order to speed up things. A couple of thousands Euros later (license, computer, etc... spacemouse :)), i came to realize, that there is no GPU rendering. Honestly, it never crossed my mind for a second, that anyone would do a 3D software WITHOUT GPU rendering. I mean, what is the point in high performance GPUs with tons of memory ... ?

While this is a huge disappointment, I kind of feel the same way about the limited simulations. A form simulation would really come in handy very often! Though, I always have to pay "cloud credits" for it. So just learning how to handle this simulation could add up to a couple of hundred Euros in order to figure out what all the parameters and configuration options can do. I don't think this is the point of "cloud".

I really love the idea of having a "render cloud". Back then, using Studio Max 3D v4.0, it took me days to render a couple of seconds on a self built render farm. I would have loved to have access to a "cloud" in 1998. Now, that the cloud is here, who came up with the weird idea of removing GPU support ... 😉

The point is, let people learn to use sims properly and give them the power to just totally outperform their computers with really cool stuff you have to offer. The crowd will love you and for sure buy stuff in the cloud (as they/I want to see the cool things i build without waiting a week to render)...

So please ... GPU support and more "local" things to do ... will come to the cloud when there is a real need - i swear! 🙂

Best, Hannes

Message 39 of 95
Anonymous

In my personal opinion there should be an option to enable or disable GPU rendering as some users do have GPUs built for the job e.g. Nvidia Quadro RTX cards with a truckload of processing power.

Message 40 of 95
justinrosander

You guys seriously have to get a handle on this.  GPU rendering is not "limited", as you say.  Cash grab to get us to pay for cloud credits, which is nonsense.  Not sure if I'm going to renew after learning this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report