Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU rendering

94 REPLIES 94
SOLVED
Message 1 of 95
Anonymous
109938 Views, 94 Replies

GPU rendering

Are there any plans in the pipeline to introduce GPU rendering rather than the current CPU rendering?

94 REPLIES 94
Message 81 of 95
pnacekFFX3S
in reply to: Anonymous

We are forced to switch to Autodesk Maya. After all, it's from the same company.

Just kidding 🙂 Right now I'm rendering one build for 38 min. and I have another 20 to go. It's really frustrating.

Message 82 of 95
fabianbender

If we talk about making money and what users want I can see that adding GPU render as a valid option? For those users who are thinking buying credits is a good option won't probably use GPU rendering since they are investing in credits instead of a Graphics Card, but I'm just guessing? I've always looked upon cloud render as an option for less powerful computers.

How does Autodesk know that their users don't want to use GPU render as an option? If it's not there by a paywall or whatever or they don't ask the question they will never know? If they would add a monthly pay for GPU render or Network Render on top of Fusion I would be happy to pay that extra money. Or add it and make Fusion a little bit more expensive? There should be many business models to implement this?

Message 83 of 95

Autodesk hasn't add or changed anything related to render for years, adding GPU rendering would imply basically a new engine and Autodesk doesn't seem motivated to do anything render related for Fusion, my fear is that they actually just kill it entirely.
What I find strange is that they haven't made it easier (live linking) to import into other AD products such as 3D Max.
Message 84 of 95

If it needs a completely new rendering engine I can understand more why they don't add it.

But it seems like the reasons for not having GPU render vary a bit depending who is writing the reply? CPUs are better and more flexible at rendering, it's not what Fusion users wan't, money and a complete rebuild.

Colin Smith solved this thread 2016 with the words "As the landscape changes we continue to evaluate this choice." and a lot has happened in 8 years.

Maybe it never will become reality? But I wan't it so I will ask for it. 😉

Message 85 of 95

2016... they evaluated and decided it was not worth it, clearly.
Right now all I ask is just a better connection/livelinking with other engines/apps.
Message 86 of 95

I hope they solve that in the near future for you.
Message 87 of 95
Lesani
in reply to: colin.smith

This comment aged like yesterdays milk over the years, with Ray tracing being native on the GPU now, how about a GPU renderer for fusion? Ray tracing 10min for a somewhat usable resolution image locally is totally backwards. Fusion being so advanced in many areas, how come it is so lacking in the rendering department?

Message 88 of 95
eratus

I also would like to use my GPU for rendering.

The reason local rendering still sucks is obvious. Autodesk wants us to buy cloud credits instead.

Message 89 of 95
stiller.design

Why not let the user decide if using the CPU or GPU in rendering? most 3d related software have a check box for the user to choose....

But maybe that's a "let's please the shareholder decision" >_<

Message 90 of 95

This whole topic is why I am now going to leave Autodesk. They charge INSANE prices for absolutly no visible changes or features that make the workflow match 2020 (forget 2024 even) standards. Time is money and this product is wasting time. Just rendering faces on a STL BEFORE converting to a solid is running for 48 minutes (not even 10% complete) and my GPU could have completed the ENTIRE process in 5 minutes or 10 to give the benefit of the doubt to my math. Simply if you want me to pay for the product you are going to have to move past 2016 standards (to reference the date of this thread) when GPU's were not very good.

Just to add some clarity to this as well...Fusion only uses SINGLE core rendering too. My CPU is sitting at 24% load doing this. This is an absolute joke. The developers are willfully cashing in on 10 year old products that have made them MILLIONS

Message 91 of 95

@aubreyacoustics wrote:

... Just rendering faces on a STL BEFORE converting to a solid is running for 48 minutes (not even 10% complete) and my GPU could have completed the ENTIRE process in 5 minutes or 10 to give the benefit of the doubt to my math.

Why would you import a .stl in Fusion to render it?

You can import  and render a .stl in Blender and render it in real time with Eevee!

If you use  Fusion not just for rendering, but also modeling "stuff" then export your designs in STEP format and use Plasticity CAD and the Blender Bridge to get your designs into Blender end render them.

EESignature

Message 92 of 95

Very interesting about the Blender Bridge, that's a big win for Plasticity CAD. I didn't find any information on technical drawings, can it do it? Or you would have to export to AutoCAD or similar?

Message 93 of 95

Plasticity CAD is a pure concept modeler. It is also currently a pure direct modeler and a modeler only.
No drawings ever, no CAM, simulation, Electronics etc. That just isn't it's purpose!

EESignature

Message 94 of 95
nick.somethingunique

So I'm wondering; does Cloud rendering use GPU's? If not then fair enough, GPU rendering has proved an insurmountable challenge and we have Autodesk's best effort. However, if cloud rendering does use GPU's, then the renderer will likely use the same CUDA libraries used by the GPUs that many Fusion users have, so there's no fundamental reason not to have a variant of the cloud renderer running locally.

Assuming the latter, why is the core of the cloud renderer not available locally? Is it so that users must avail themselves of credits and the cloud renderer?

Message 95 of 95

Most likely no, doesn't use GPUs, and it's likely the same core that hasn't been changed for ages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report