Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 Custom Thread Utility

58 REPLIES 58
Message 1 of 59
MRWakefield
4176 Views, 58 Replies

Fusion 360 Custom Thread Utility

Every time someone asked for a custom thread (or a standard that isn't included with F360) here in the forum or I needed one myself I would think about writing some kind of utility to make the whole process easier, and each time I would mull over whether it would be worth investing the time for such an occasional requirement.

Well, some months ago I bit the bullet and decided I'd finally write something. It's taken a few months on and off and although I really wrote it for my own use I thought I might as well share it.

It can take an existing F360 thread file and convert it to CSV (which can be edited in your favourite spreadsheet program) and it will also open a CSV file (of the correct format) and allow you to generate a new thread file. It has the ability to adjust the Major, Pitch, and Minor diameters by a given amount to compensate for 3D printing (an alternative to adding an offset to the faces of the thread) or for creating in-between sizes (such as a TR21x4 - used on Sodastream CO2 cylinder). I've written a basic 'Rough Guide' that's included with the app but hopefully most of it will be obvious enough.

It also includes a form for manually entering thread data and a calculator for non-standard metric threads. This took a lot of time studying the ISO standard to get the code right for this so was very relieved to get this part working! Maybe one day, when I feel like diving in again I might take a look at adding other thread standards. I have included some sample thread files and their corresponding CSV files that I've either generated myself or collected from elsewhere. I can't guarantee the data is 100% correct so I'd recommend checking any you do use against other sources.

Here's a screenshot of the main application window.

MRWakefield_0-1675289862264.png

Anyway, I hope some of you find it useful. You can download a ZIP file which includes the application, the rough guide and the sample files here. Hopefully you won't have too many questions.

Edit: I was reminded by @HughesTooling to mention the ThreadKeeper program for syncing custom thread files. I highly recommend it for making life much easier!

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.
Marcus Wakefield

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You can find out about it here. Hope you find it useful.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

58 REPLIES 58
Message 2 of 59
HughesTooling
in reply to: MRWakefield

@MRWakefield  Did you also write the thread keeper program to move the thread files after an update? If you did might be worth adding a link to your first post.

@Phil.E  Fusion really should have a fixed location for storing custom threads by now! Something like there is for scripts where there's the ones Fusion comes with but also a fixed folder for custom scripts. Of Course the best option would be to store them is the assets folder so they are available on all of the users computers.

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 59
MRWakefield
in reply to: HughesTooling

No, that's not me but I do highly recommend ThreadKeeper whenever I can as it makes life so much easier. There is a button in my app that will open the current F360 thread folder to make it easier to manage the custom files in there (i.e.. delete files you might not need any more etc.). I did think about adding similar functionality for syncing files but TK does such a good job and does it automatically that I didn't think it was worth reinventing the wheel.

I definitely agree with you that custom thread files should be in a fixed location though, or as you say in the assets folder. I guess you could use a cloud drive such as Google Drive to store your thread files that TK syncs with. I haven't tried it but it should work. In fact I think I'm going to try that out right now 😁

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.
Marcus Wakefield

I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You can find out about it here. Hope you find it useful.

Message 4 of 59
Phil.E
in reply to: HughesTooling

Agreed. There are a couple places where Fusion requires local file storage. This is one, and materials is another. I added an improvement ticket but I'm sure this is already on the radar for years now, just not on the table right now.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 59
MRWakefield

Just to let any interested parties know that I've made a few additions to the app since I first shared it. It now has the following additional features:

• Filter the CSV table on any column(s):
    MRWakefield_0-1684320604028.png

• Calculate UN thread dimensions:
    MRWakefield_1-1684320800258.png
    The usual disclaimer applies to the thread calculators in that I can't guarantee the figures are correct so please check with another source if possible. I have checked and the figures seem to be correct but there's no guarantee!

• Set a folder for syncing your custom thread files with the Fusion 360 thread folder:
    MRWakefield_2-1684320953518.png

Note that the app doesn't automatically sync you files so you need to do it manually with the new "Sync Folders..." menu item. I still highly recommend the ThreadKeeper add-in as it does the syncing automatically whenever Fusion starts up or whenever Fusion receives an update that moves the thread folder. Also note that these updates have been added at various times since the original version so depending on when you last downloaded a copy you might already have seen some of the earlier additions.

Anyway, I hope you find it useful

Marcus Wakefield

Message 6 of 59
Elessar_lad

You're a legend! This really works!

I've been trying to do something like this for a long time. In fact, I was using chatGPT to help me create a Python script. However, the accuracy of the results left lots to be desired as the values varied greatly between the script and the ones given by the theoretical machinist website. In the end, I dropped the project. I manually calculated the values I needed using the website and created a custom thread file. I had a catastrophic Windows issue that forced me to do a clean install, needless to say, I had no chance to save the file I spent so much time on.

Thank you for making your work available to everyone! @MRWakefield 

Message 7 of 59
MRWakefield
in reply to: Elessar_lad

Thanks for your comments @Elessar_lad, I'm pleased you like it and have found it useful. I did consider charging for it but decided it was too small a market to bother.

Yes, I've had varying success using ChatGPT for writing code snippets. I write most of my apps in Lazarus (based on Pascal) as I'm familiar with Delphi VCL programming (having used Delphi since version 1 in 1995). ChatGPT will often specify commands or other stuff that isn't available. When challenged it will acknowledge that it made a mistake and offer another code snippet. Sometimes it takes several iterations before it gets it right and sometimes I just give up with it! It's also totally hopeless at giving correct values for thread data.

The calculations were a major headache because the final figures aren't arrived at by simple formulae. In the case of metric: rounding rules,  diameter ranges, R40 preferred numbers... etc. all come into play! It took many, many hours to get it right. My figures are usually within a micron of other calculators or reference tables so that's good enough for me. One thing that nobody seems to agree on is the calculation of maximum major of internal and the minimum minor of external threads. I might look into this again if I feel the urge but I'm reasonably happy with it as it is.

I've recently made a few mods to it and in fact just this morning made a small change to some code. You'll find the latest version via the same link as the previous versions. As I've said before if I feel particularly masochistic I might add some other thread calculators but don't hold your breath!

Marcus Wakefield

Message 8 of 59
MRWakefield

I've recently updated the app to fix a couple of bugs, one where if a CSV field contained a double-quote (", ie to represent inches) it would mess up the data columns and another to do with batch processing in the thread calculator dialogue.

I've also added the ability to watch the Fusion threads folder and if the path changes then the app will offer to copy all your custom thread files to the new one. The app has to be running to enable it to watch the folder so I'd still recommend the ThreadKeeper add-in as it's definitely more convenient.

Here's a screenshot of the settings dialogue:

MRWakefield_1-1702335976585.png

You will see that you can choose whether to copy the custom threads from either your sync folder or from the old Fusion threads folder. You also have the option to delete the old folder. I believe the Fusion updater would usually delete this folder but doesn't if it contains any custom files.

Hope you find it useful.

Marcus Wakefield

Message 9 of 59
Elessar_lad

Thanks for your continuous work to keep this tool updated!
Message 10 of 59
MRWakefield
in reply to: Elessar_lad

Thanks @Elessar_lad 😀

Marcus Wakefield

Message 11 of 59
RufusToad

I am a little confused with this so I apologize I am not experienced enough to knock this out but this program looks extremely useful and I would like to understand better. 

Can an entirely new thread be created with this rather than modifying an excising one? I am sure I am missing something here but I just can't grasp it yet.  I am looking to make a completely new AMCE 13/16-6" thread? 

Message 12 of 59
MRWakefield
in reply to: RufusToad

@RufusToad wrote:

I am a little confused with this so I apologize I am not experienced enough to knock this out but this program looks extremely useful and I would like to understand better. 

Can an entirely new thread be created with this rather than modifying an excising one? I am sure I am missing something here but I just can't grasp it yet.  I am looking to make a completely new AMCE 13/16-6" thread? 

Yes you can generate a new thread file with the app. In the case of your 13/16-6 Acme thread you'll need to enter these manually. You'll find tables of sizes and calculators online.

I started to create an example but I've encountered a bug so I'm looking into that now. Bear with me...

Marcus Wakefield

Message 13 of 59
RufusToad

No worries from me. This is well worth the wait

Message 14 of 59
MRWakefield

Ok, I think I've fixed that. It was actually caused by a bugfix in a recent version! I've had to reverse that to make it work (it was to do with double quotes used for inches). I've only done some quick testing so hopefully it's all working again.

Back to the example:

As I said before, you'll need to enter the values manually for this one and you can find calculators online. In this example I used the one here. Here's a screenshot showing a 13/16-6 Acme class 2 thread for both External and Internal.

MRWakefield_0-1708206416004.png

Just enter the values from the calculator along with the other information then click the 'Add' button. Do this for each designation. Once you've entered all the designations click the 'Save CSV...' button.

Once you've got your CSV you need to open it in the main application window to generate your xml thread file.

I'd recommend creating a folder for all your custom thread files then using the Thread Keeper to sync whenever Fusion receives an update. My app will do something similar but I'd still recommend Thread Keeper as it just does it all automatically.

Here's a screenshot of Fusion showing a screw and a nut with the threads created for this example.

MRWakefield_1-1708203612442.png

EDIT:

I've attached the thread file shown in this example in case it is of use.

Marcus Wakefield

Message 15 of 59
RufusToad

Thanks again for your guidance on this. This is a great app!! I have just a couple of questions,

I am getting a fault I dont understand? Possibly wrong naming I used?

schwenkent_0-1708444833409.png

Where do you get the Fusion 360 Thread Master to put into the Threadkeeper file?

Once I force the Threadkeeper sync should the Threadkeeper directory have files in it??

Can I assume you would need to save the thread file to fusion (circled above) after you create the XML file?

Message 16 of 59
MRWakefield

Ok, lets deal with the error first: That error is saying that the application is unable to save it's settings file (not the xml thread file) and is possibly due to permissions on the folder that it is attempting to save to. Where are you running the executable from (in other words can you tell me what the folder path to the executable is)? A screenshot of the folder showing the application exe file would be great.

Now for the ThreadKeeper bit:

It's been a very long time since I first installed ThreadKeeper that I can't remember the process exactly. There is a help document here that should get you all set up with it if you haven't already. Once this is set up you just need to save any custom thread files you create via the app or obtain elsewhere into the Thread Keeper sync folder. ThreadKeeper will create a default sync folder to store your custom files into but you can change it to a more convenient folder if you wish. When you run Fusion, ThreadKeeper will check and copy any files in the sync folder to Fusion's thread folder (which moves whenever Fusion is updated). When Fusion receives an update ThreadKeeper will notice this and copy your custom threads to the new Fusion threads folder. Each time you run Fusion ThreadKeeper will also notice whether you've added any new custom thread files and copy these over as well. I hope that makes sense?

Where do you get the Fusion 360 Thread Master to put into the Threadkeeper file?

Once I force the Threadkeeper sync should the Threadkeeper directory have files in it??

Can I assume you would need to save the thread file to fusion (circled above) after you create the XML file?

I'm not sure I understand you first question here.

The ThreadKeeper sync folder will only have files in it if you've put them there yourself.

Yes, after creating the XML file you need to save it. Usually to the ThreadKeeper sync folder.

Hope this helps but if you still have questions let me know.

Marcus Wakefield

Message 17 of 59
RufusToad

OK I need to take this one step at a time. Before you just mentioned this I still had it in my downloads file so I took both files, yours and threadkeepers and drug them to a folder on my desktop. I assume this is not OK because now it will not save all the numbers I imported into your app?

schwenkent_0-1708453671895.png

schwenkent_1-1708453702724.png

Message 18 of 59
RufusToad

I am sure I need to put your app somewhere else but not sure where. Everytime I force threadkeeper to sync I still get no master thread file for some reason. I did read his help form but I am missing a step somewhere.

schwenkent_0-1708454258761.png

Message 19 of 59
MRWakefield

Ok, this is what I'd recommend:

1. Create a folder in your Documents folder called 'My Fusion Threads'.
  2. Create a second folder inside this folder called 'CSV'. This is where you'll save any CSV files you create.
  3. Create a third folder at the same level called 'XML Thread Files'. This is where you'll save your XML thread files.
    MRWakefield_0-1708459011902.png

4. Install ThreadKeeper according to the instructions.
  5.  Run Fusion then Change the ThreadKeeper directory to your newly created 'XML Thread Files' folder.
    MRWakefield_1-1708460242760.png
    MRWakefield_2-1708460322727.png
  6. Close Fusion.
  7. Expand the zip file containing my application and accompanying files to somewhere convenient (for example you could put it in the 'My Fusion Threads' folder you created earlier). In the future I might make an installer to make it easier.
    MRWakefield_3-1708461728209.png

8. Create a CSV file using my app. As you appear to have already successfully done this then just move the one you've already made from wherever it is to the 'CSV' folder.
  9. Open the CSV file in my app.
  10. Generate the XML file then save it into the 'XML Thread Files' folder.
  11. Run Fusion. ThreadKeeper should notice that there's an XML file in the sync folder that isn't yet present in the Fusion threads folder and copy your XML file over.

Hope this helps. Sorry if I've missed anything obvious but I'm rushing back and forth between writing this reply and making dinner!

Marcus Wakefield

Message 20 of 59
RufusToad

OH BROTHER I think you did it. Now I am getting somewhere and it created the file in Fusion. Something major wrong with the thread but I will see if I can fix it and let you know.  Does FLANK ANGLE have any impact on this??

Thank you for your patients!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report