Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastener suggestions - here are some more

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
johnanger
244 Views, 3 Replies

Fastener suggestions - here are some more

HI @Roman_Vesely and Autodesk. 

Love the new fasteners. I have a feature request to improve usage. On a given page of fastener types there is probably just one which is used 99% of the time. e.g. below I probably don't want drilled (they make those?) socket head screws, or slotted, or shoulder, or etc. It would be convenient if the common type could be indicated in the UI. Bold the fastener type title perhaps. In some places the common type is called 'Plain' but it varies. Otherwise I'm hunting through many pages looking for the basic common fastener type I need. A way to do this would be good. See below. 

Another minor point English is not a unit system type. If anything English is metric (the English went metric a long time ago, in 1965). I suggest "Imperial" instead. 

Some of my friends are having trouble getting fasteners going - I had to make some changes myself (which Autodesk explained in the release note) and I am a subscriber. I think adoption will be impaired as getting it going commonly requires some fiddling. 

Good stuff Autodesk. Fusion is a very nice tool. 

johnanger_1-1702059240353.png

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: johnanger

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/fasteners/td-p/12428813

@johnanger wrote:

Another minor point English is not a unit system type.

I wouldn't call that a minor point.

They must have had an intern do this...

Message 3 of 4
MichaelT_123

Hi Mr JohnAnger,

Yes, historically, the "English" adjective is not correct (if there is such thing as the proper history)
The essential units of length, inch and foot, still in use in some backward countries, have two origins.
The introduction of an inch is attributed to Scottish King David I about millennia ago as the average breadth of a man’s thumb at the base of the nail. You can not tell Scott that he is an Englishman, can you? It would be a gross offence ... thus, a Scottish adjective instead of English would be more appropriate.
Regarding foot … This unit has a much older historical origin ... so ancient that its imprint eroded greatly.
My theory is that Barney and Fred invented it at Wilma and Betty's request to standardize the distance to a fridge (full of beer). Consequently, the foot (left or right, nobody knows) was cast into bedrock by Dino and bitten deep into the heads of countless generations, of which some remnants still roam the Earth today.

Regards
MichelT

MichaelT
Tags (3)
Message 4 of 4
Roman_Vesely

Hi  johnanger,

thank you for your suggestions.

We are working on solution how to differentiate in UI preferable families.

WRT: the name convention for Unit systems (Metric , Enhlish) ... we did the same as we have in Fusion Preferences but we will look at it again, if we can improve it and do it more clear / readable for customers.

Best regards

Roman

Roman Vesely

Inventor - Principal QA Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report