Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude join to specific body

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
mr.codycole
2210 Views, 23 Replies

Extrude join to specific body

This is a feature request, my workflow would be improved by having the ability to choose what body to join when extruding from a sketch (exactly like choosing what bodies to CUT). I've found that currently, the only way to accomplish this is to toggle visibility on bodies I do not wish to join to the extrusion or to extrude as a new body and then use combine.

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
jhackney1972
in reply to: kb9ydn

Give the Emboss command a try.  It will join your sketch to a body behind any number of separate bodies between it and your sketch.  Animated GIF attached.

Emboss Through Body.gif

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 24
crawlinbrain
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thanks for posting this workaround!

Just played with it a bit and wanted to list out a few limitations in case anyone is looking to try this out. 

-New addition must be fully enclosed by selected face or it will be clipped

-New addition will only combine with the selected face. Additional bodies with need an additional combine feature

-No draft feature

-No thin feature

-No ability to offset from the selected surface 

-No ability to extrude in multiple directions

🤞here's hoping for a fully resolved extrude feature for 2024

Message 23 of 24
cuentas5PLVL
in reply to: mr.codycole

Agree too, it feels backwords to use the actual workflow. Also is extremely annyoing when you edit a extrusion and suddenly it joins other bodies that are visibile during the edit. To see that this was asked in 2022 and is still not implemented, being a basic behavious... well... ok...

I have the feeling that software design decisions are ruled by let's do it differently instead of by let's use the most efficient solutions. But just in random tools  or implementations. 

Message 24 of 24
info2CSXP
in reply to: mr.codycole

Hey Fusion.... Still not ?

Extruding is the main thing we do when designing.... we do it ALL THE TIME. And you do not want to add this feature ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report