Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOES AUTODESK FUSION 360 SUPPORT LINUX OS

215 REPLIES 215
SOLVED
Message 1 of 216
Anonymous
108738 Views, 215 Replies

DOES AUTODESK FUSION 360 SUPPORT LINUX OS

HELLO 

I WOULD LIKE TO DOES AUTODESK FUSION 360 SUPPORT LINUX OS

AND 

WHICH WOULD BE THE BEST PROCSSER FOR FUSION IF I AM HANDELING LARGE CAM AND COMPLEX 3D ASSEMLY

LET ME KNOW

215 REPLIES 215
Message 2 of 216
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Unfortunately, no, Fusion does not support Linux at this time.  Only Windows and Mac are supported.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 216
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

Dear Jeff,

"at this time" - does this mean there might or will be a linux version in future? I would highly appreciate this as cross-platform operation is becoming an issue for us, which is why we tend to use software like FreeCad currently..

Best,

Ansgar

Message 4 of 216
brianrepp

Hi Ansgar - a Linux version of Fusion 360 is not currently on the roadmap or in the plans.  However, a browser based version is.  Might be worth checking out project Leopard if you haven't already.

Message 5 of 216
marmilicious
in reply to: brianrepp

Really looking forward to hearing more about Project Leopard.  If Linux users can use it too that will be super awesome.

Message 6 of 216
Anonymous
in reply to: brianrepp

Hi Brian,

I am looking to setup Fusion 360 into some Chromebooks that will be use by k12 students.

Where can I get it as a web base software? 

Or when it will be available?

Regards

Gustavo Ferreyra

Fab Lab Manager CSUDH

Message 7 of 216
HughesTooling

You can request a preview on the preview forum here.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/preview-functionality/how-to-sign-up-for-current-previews/td-p/693255...

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 216
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

If you can port it to mac then it can be ported to Linux, What is it about Linux that makes you not want to support Linux users

Message 9 of 216
kb9ydn

@Anonymous wrote:

If you can port it to mac then it can be ported to Linux, What is it about Linux that makes you not want to support Linux users

I believe the problem is one of return on investment, specifically lack thereof.  CAD applications are VERY complex and are therefore very expensive to develop (unless it's done by volunteers, which is not Autodesk).  Unless Autodesk can see that they are likely to get a significant return on the huge investment it would take to develop a Linux version, there is no motivation for them to do so.  I know Linux users don't like to admit it (I've been a Linux user since 1995, so I have some idea) but they are a very small minority compared to MS Windows and OSX users.  

And really, it makes perfect sense to do a browser based version for everyone else that isn't Windows or OSX.  This (at least in theory) would allow any operating system that can support a web browser to use Fusion.  That's about as universal as it gets.

C|

Message 10 of 216
TrippyLighting

I started using a linux distribution to move to a more mature and powerful Os to escape the 64k memory segmentation limit of MS DOS and before MS Windows 3.11 was on the market.

I used it for computer graphics, programming etc.  for 15 years before I decided to move to the mac platform  9 years ago.

What linux version do you want to support ?

If only one version is supported, because it has the right kernel, drivers, graphics drivers etc. what would make it so different from using any user single source OS ?

What IDE would need to be supported ? KDE GNOMe or others ?

I agree with @kb9ydn. The real issue is not a technical one and not whether it can be ported. It would likely be a support nightmare.

EESignature

Message 11 of 216
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

looking forward to this browser based stuff

Message 12 of 216
dstevenslv

@Anonymous wrote:

There's no money in it.  Linux CAD/CAM users are far and few between.  I'm old enough to have cut my teeth on System V and Minix prior to Linus building the first kernel.  I see the future being more platform agnostic allowing devices like Chromebooks as well as dedicated OS devices like Mac OS and Windows to use those same services.

Dave

Message 13 of 216
Anonymous
in reply to: kb9ydn

So when i pay the monthly fee and I use windows ,that is real money. But if I pay a monthly fee and I am using linux that;s not real money ?

Message 14 of 216
Anonymous
in reply to: kb9ydn

And as for browser based app. we know that the internet never goes right ? usually when you are right in the middle of something important . How do plan guard against exploits ?

Message 15 of 216
etfrench

@Anonymous wrote:

And as for browser based app. we know that the internet never goes right ? usually when you are right in the middle of something important . How do plan guard against exploits ?

That one's easy.  Get a Windows machine Smiley Very Happy

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 16 of 216
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I would imagine it would be just a very advanced tinkercad. so it saves automatically as you work, so if you lose internet, it will just save the last thing you did. I don't see this as being a replacement for fusion360 install, just something nice to have when you are on the go and not on your main pc.

Message 17 of 216
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

So when i pay the monthly fee and I use windows ,that is real money. But if I pay a monthly fee and I am using linux that;s not real money ?

Its more like, it isn't worth paying a team to port it to Linux and keep it updated because the user base is so small on Linux , it wouldn't justify that cost.

Message 18 of 216
dstevenslv

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are serious about doing high level CAD/CAM work you get a Windows machine or emulate one.  The industry isn't going to Linux.  It's not even going to Mac OS which is really the *nix desktop Linux wishes it was.

Message 19 of 216
Anonymous
in reply to: dstevenslv

@dstevenslv wrote:

It's not even going to Mac OS which is really the *nix desktop Linux wishes it was.

That’s your opinion. I wish the MacOS desktop acted more like Linux.

The Mac desktop is only “better” because it has commercial support. 

Message 20 of 216
Anonymous

Incorrect. OSX is better (at some stuff) because it has a direction and clear goals, and one team. Linux is the wild west, developed by uncoordinated people. It is only natural that it's not as polished. I run Linux, OSX and Windows depending on what I need. Linux is a really good server platform or developer workstation, OSX is the perfect audio/video or design desktop/laptop machine, and windows is the best 3D and gaming platform. I tend to use the best tool for the job.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report