Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodecahedron - Custom

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1933 Views, 12 Replies

Dodecahedron - Custom

I was trying to solve a design last night and I got stumped.  I googled and found this.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/i-want-to-make-a-dodecahedron/td-p/5886873

which gives me part of the solution (I think)

My objective

I saw these custom dice: https://www.shapeways.com/product/EB3WLYNJR/steampunk-gear-d12?optionId=5380761&li=marketplace

and was thinking it would be really cool to design and 3d print my own. Our club logo is a Pentagon of H's radiating from the center (5 h's).

So I tried to model this last night and failed repeatedly.

My attempt

I tried modeling an extrusion of our 5h imported as an SVG and then tried to rotate and copy on the angles and move "point to point" to position. It seemed like it would be simple, but it wasn't.

My thoughts on solutions?

Seeing the tutorial above, I was contemplating making the same sketches but instead of the pentagon, place the SVG on that plane.  The trick with my SVG is that I can't do the angled extrusion because I would like every face to have the SVG  extruded from the face.

I had debated about creating a loft between the opposite surface and rotate 180 to get proper position to fit, and then figure out my angles to rotate and combine the other faces.

I'm curious if anyone else might have an easier way to accomplish what I'm looking for. I'm still a bit of a newbie with Fusion360 and have been floating between this and Blender.  Is there a simple technique I'm overlooking that I should research.

Could it be something as simple as taking the existing dodecahedron model from the first link above, extruding my SVG and some how move and apply it to each face of the existing model?   Or take the existing dodecahedron model and convert each face to a plane?

I'm sure all these are possible, but I'd like to understand the "correct" way to do this as accurately as possible (which I expect will probably be the least guesswork)

Thank you all for everything you've already contributed. This community is amazing and I've learned an incredible amount from this resource you've created!! 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

So I tried to model this last night and failed repeatedly. 

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

I found this video and I'm going to try this first. I think it might solve the problem... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbMog4OPjWo&t=99s

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Ok.. that video didn't seem to work out when I tested it. I ran into extrude warnings. Here is the SVG I'm trying to extrude as a side.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

and here was my attept at joining... but when I select the edge... they won't join. The "ok" box is grayed out.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

and this is a quick sketch of the sort of thing i'm trying to accomplish... Where the verticies of the faces all fold down to the center. Maybe I should love each wedge and then assemble?

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

I'm going to mark this as solved. I think I'm headed in the direction I'm looking using a combo of the youtube video above and the loft.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Here are some my attempts:

f360_H3_Loft.jpgf360_H3_Shell.jpgf360_H3_Extrude_and_Loft.jpg

BTW. Dodecahedron can be drawn without any math or formulas. Just 2D sketching and some construction planes.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

wow. THank you. I look forward to reviewing the timeline on these models to see how you did them. I got close this evening but I think I took the long way around.

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

I'm curious if you are able to answer another probably simple question. I've looked around and couldn't find anything to help me out and I figured it might be easiest to ask.

I printed customized the faces a little more and printed one and it looks awesome.

The one side printed a little oddly from the under hang and as I was looking at it. I was thinking that it might be better if I printed it on a specific point (fewer numbers on the underhang faces.) So to do that, I'd need to rotate it so a specific "virtual" corner was at the origin point (x0 y0 z0).  What I attempted was I made a plane with the 3 points of the edge of the adjoining H corners. This created a plane that would be perfect if I could just somehow say... "rotate so this is not the base."    I've googled and googled and can't find an answer to do that though.  

Am I missing something simple?

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

@Anonymous

Do you want it to be aligned like this?

f360_H5_align.png

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Yes. For a specific corner. I was struggling to grasp how to make that happen last night.

(this should give me fewer faces on the under hang and there should be more faces on the Y Axis which print cleaner. I think this will give me less clean up work in the end.).

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

@Anonymous

So, create a construction plane through 3 points and align dodecahedron face to it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report