Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating drawing deletes design model

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
545 Views, 4 Replies

creating drawing deletes design model

Today I created a drawing in Fusion 360 on my Win 7 x64 laptop from a model I made.

On reopening Fusion 360, I can see the drawing in the data panel, but not the model. If I click the "i" icon I can see the versions of the drawing, and I can see "Fusion Designs:" with a link to my model. If I click on that link, nothing happens.

If I click on "open details in A360" and then click on the design, there is a stripe at the top of the resulting page that says "There is no such entity".

Thinking this was a fairly stable program (that was a poor decision in retrospect) I did not go through the extra steps to export the model, since the offline mode is discouraged in Fusion 360

It's not a big deal, but I would be curious if there is anyway to get the model back. I googled for answers and tried looking in file recovery, but there is nothing there. 

The only other problems I have seen on Fusion are occasional authentication errors on starting the program. I can't be precise on that, since the notification icon next to my user name has dissapeared. The only things unusual about this machine are that it has a VPN connection to our company network (traffic outside the company IP range is not routed on the VPN) and I use Sandboxie to sandbox Firefox.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
kris_berg
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

I am sorry you are having these issues.  You should be able to get your design back.  Can you send me (kris.berg@autodesk.com) your logs?  To retrieve your logs go to the help(?) menu and select the "Diagnostic Log Files" command.  Also in that email include the design name.  Once I recieve the logs I will send you an email with instructions specific to your account.

Thank you,

Kris Berg

Fusion 360 Development

Kris Berg
Senior Software Architect - Autodesk
Message 3 of 5
kris_berg

Hi @Anonymous,

Thank you for sending the logs.  I sent you an email with instructions on how to retrieve your model.  Please let me know if you do not receive my email.

Kris Berg

Fusion 360 Development

Kris Berg
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks for the timely help. I was able to recover my design.

I find this incident worrisome since there is no way to re-associate my drawing with the model. It's OK in this case, but if I were making a complex design with several fab drawings, each of which has lots of fab notes, dimensions, etc. it would be a lot of work to re-create them. Fusion 360, Windows, and the computer all kept working fine, it's only my model that was lost. For a "cloud-based program" that's something that just shouldn't happen.

Is there a way to save a complete model and drawings to offline files so there is a complete backup?

Message 5 of 5
kris_berg

Hi @Anonymous,

I completely understand your concerns.  We take every case where a file is lost very seriously and launch an investigation on what went wrong.  In your case what happened was, due to an extremely rare issue on our backend servers, your design was not successfully uploaded.  You were able to make drawings of the design, since it was on your local drive.  We are working on a project that will completely eliminate the possibility of this happening.  You can always export the drawing with its design in Audodesk 360 and obtain a local copy.  Unfortunately, for the case you experienced, since your design did not successfully upload this would not have worked.  I agree we need to have a way to reassociate the drawing with the newly uploaded design.  I tried a few things tonight, but was unsuccessful.  I will keep looking at it, but hope I don't have to explain to anyone how to do it :).

Thank your for your patience and understanding in this situation.

Kris Berg

Fusion 360 Development

Kris Berg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report