Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snap to center question

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
BeeAmaker
1549 Views, 10 Replies

Snap to center question

In a sketch I can snap my curser to the center of a vertical line, OR I can snap my curser to the center of a horizintal line. Why can't I - or how do I, snap it to both at the same time?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
TrippyLighting
in reply to: BeeAmaker

That principle is called inference and also works similarly for example in Sketchup.

1. Start your line by snapping to the centerpoinint of the horizontal line.

2. move the cursor to the center of the vertical line.

3. you'll see a green dashed line apper if you now move he cursor away from the vertical line.

Here is a quick screencast.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
BeeAmaker
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Is there any time that won't happen?

That is what I have been trying on my current drawing, but I only get one line at a time.

After watching your vid, I started a new drawing and it works as instructed.

Message 4 of 11
TrippyLighting

Not that I know. It usually works for me.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
Maowen_Zhang

@BeeAmaker@TrippyLighting, for your information, there are couple rules used in sketch inferenceing as below. 

1. Need to hover mouse on the existing sketch geometries, to add them as inference targets (Newly created lines during command running are auto added)

So that's why we need to hover mouse on the vertical / horizontal lines first, then we can align to its center points

2. Current maintain 3 max geometries as inference targets, when hover mouse on 4th geometries, then the 1st one will be removed from inference (The purpose is to have less unneccessary inferences)

So if hover mouse on vertical line, then horizontal line, it could inference to there center points, but if mouse hover to another 2 lines, then the first vercial line will be removed from inference, so couldn't be infer to their center line again. In this case, we need to hover mouse / touch the vertical line again.  

The above 2nd item might related with what you had seen, but I'm not sure, please let me know if it is and we could discuss improve it if need, thanks for sharing with us!  

Lori Zhang (Fusion Development)
Message 6 of 11
BeeAmaker
in reply to: Maowen_Zhang

I was hovering over the top horizontal line and then the right Vertical line of a square. I could get one or the other but not both.

Now it is working on other drawings. I have had this happen before, Just figured I was doing something wrong.

Thanks

Message 7 of 11
Maowen_Zhang

@BeeAmaker, thanks for the info, keep in touch when you find further issue about the inference, thanks! 

Message 8 of 11

I've found a case where inference fails trying to find the centre of a rectangular profile. If you are sketching on a face and the edges of the face are colinear to lines that make the rectangle you can't find the mid point of 2 edges at the same time while the view is perpendicular to the face.

Here's a screen cast to demonstrate. 

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
BeeAmaker
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thats exactly it!

I went back to all the drawings I recalled having this issue and that is what is happening.

thaks for posting that!

Message 10 of 11

Great to identify the case! I'll try to improve it as soon as possible, thanks! 

Message 11 of 11
Maowen_Zhang
in reply to: Maowen_Zhang

For your information, I checked this today and the issue is related with overlapped sketch line and body edge. I added an issue FUS-22252 in internal system to track this, and added a fix for it. It should be ready in next major release (might be March).  Please let me know if you have any concern or comment about it, thanks a lot for catching this! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report