Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a spiral tube...

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
SimonPlatten
1576 Views, 33 Replies

Creating a spiral tube...

I want to create a spiral tube that starts off with a diameter of for example 20mm then decreases to a diameter of 8mm.   I intend to 3D print this and I want it to be a spiral pipe work that liquid can flow through.  I've create a solid object using the coil feature, however I don't know if I can create a pipe that starts off as one diameter then reduces to another diameter, also its solid, I've tried using shell on the coil but it doesn't have the effect I desire.

Can anyone help ?

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34

spiral tube.jpg

Here's my go it.

Message 3 of 34

Thank you, I saved your file, edited and reviewed actions, I see now using Loft.

Message 4 of 34

How do you create the spiral on the sketch ?

Message 5 of 34

@SimonPlatten wrote:

How do you create the spiral on the sketch ?

All in the Timeline.

Unfortunately it is not correct as the circular profile is not perpendicular to the path.

Message 6 of 34

I used the Coil function (with a couple of false starts!).coil 2.jpg

I think CADWhisperer is correct in his criticism re perpendicularity but that may not matter for your use. 

Message 7 of 34

Here's a version with the end faces perpendicular to the helix. I used a pipe around the coil to give me faces to sketch on, could have used plane along path as another option. Only used the pipe because I thought you could set start and end diameters but Fusion can't do that (another program I use can). 

See attached file. Was going to just shell the first loft but Fusion created some strange artefact when I tried that. Could be because the seam on the loft is twisted?

HughesTooling_0-1685552200372.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 34

Thank you, looking at the file and timeline it starts off with CoilPrimitive1 then Pipe1, Sketch3, Sketch4, Loft1 and finally Loft2.

I've looked at the file several times and I don't really understand how the spiral appears between the two sketches.

I've added a screen shot showing the entry sketch and the exit sketch where the entry is from the top and the exit is 90 degrees and 300mm below.  I am trying to create a spiral pipe that gets narrower as it does down, starting with a 20mm inner diameter and exiting with a 8mm inner diameter.

I'm hoping that this design with help to increase water pressure when water is passes through it from above ?

Message 9 of 34

Spiral.jpg

This is Loft 1

Message 10 of 34

Thank you, but can you please fill in the blanks with some instructions suitable for me to follow step by step ?

Message 11 of 34

Screenshot 2023-06-01 153819.jpg

Message 12 of 34

Thank you, but the diagram alone doesn't really help me.

Message 13 of 34

Just for clarity.
Message 14 of 34

What does that clarify ?

Message 15 of 34

Mmmm. OK I'm unsure of the level you are at with Fusion 360 learning journey but here I go....The Yellow body is the Coil. The Vertix of that body is used as a Centreline path. The Pipe (Solid Red) gives you a planar surface at either end...On onbe planar surface you create a sketch of the proposed large end's inside and outside diameters concentric with the spiral path you'll use for the loft (Yellow) You then Loft a solid Outside spiral of diminishing diameter and ditto for the inside then you Combine cut those two solid spiral diminishing solids to create the spiral tube of your desires!

Message 16 of 34

Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 07.09.43.png

Thank you, assume I know nothing and then you can't go far wrong.  I've been using Fusion 360 for a while, but not constantly, now and then when I get time.  Attached is another 3 sketches showing the top entry hole of the pipe, rotate 90 degrees then spiral down to the exit point at the bottom.

Message 17 of 34

Well that can be done as Extrudes and revolves if I understand you needs

Screenshot 2023-06-01 162917.jpg

Message 18 of 34

Thank you, getting there slowly...

Message 19 of 34

I'm struggling to see how I create the sketch that creates the line that will be used to follow and create the spiral ?

Message 20 of 34

If you're just talking about the spiral, use the edge of the coil. You should use the edge because a surface edge is more accurate than a sketch.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report